WARWICK AND STRATFORD

Bob.Doubles

Featured Posts

We're intending to head to Stratford on Avon via Warwick in a couple of weeks. It's been a long time since we were over that way, so can anyone advise on moorings for a day or two at each place? I have always moored in Saltisford arm at Warwick in the past. Is this still possible? And is it likely to be jam-packed in August? Same at Stratford - I was wondering how full the basin gets. (I probably won't have time to make it worthwhile to go down on to the river.) I also seem to remember that there were dire warnings about mooring on the canal just above the basin - ie around Br 68. Is this sound or is it the usual scare mongering? :lol:

We're intending to head to Stratford on Avon via Warwick in a couple of weeks. It's been a long time since we were over that way, so can anyone advise on moorings for a day or two at each place? I have always moored in Saltisford arm at Warwick in the past. Is this still possible? And is it likely to be jam-packed in August? Same at Stratford - I was wondering how full the basin gets. (I probably won't have time to make it worthwhile to go down on to the river.) I also seem to remember that there were dire warnings about mooring on the canal just above the basin - ie around Br 68. Is this sound or is it the usual scare mongering? :lol:

Hello - that's where we're lurking at the moment.

Yes there are still visitor mooring at the Saltisford Arm. Free for the first night then something like £3 a night afterwards. But they do have a laundry room, loos, water etc.

There are 48h mooring rings opposite Kate's Yard, near bridge 49. That's the nearest place to moor (apparently) for good access to walk into Warwick and for Warwick Station.

Stratford has 48h mooring in Bancroft Basin opposite the theatre - not as busy there today as usual. And the River Avon is currently calm and lovely looking, so there's a fair few narrowboats moored there (so I saw in my lunchbreak today!)

You can also moor on the canal just before the basin, outside the Red Lion pub. Slightly less noisy than the basin but you do put up with some lurking teenagers of an evening. Not thugs (Stratford is rubbish at doing "thugs") but still a pain in the a*se sometimes!

Have a nice trip!

Hi,

Stayed at Statty more times than I can remember. Go onto the river for the best place with no issues. Mind you, the lock on to the river can pull some crowds so make sure your crew are organised!!!

Neil

I'd agree with you, except that you have to pay for an Avon licence.

I'd agree with you, except that you have to pay for an Avon licence.

I was down there earlier this year and definitely think its worth going onto the river for a bit more privacy.

£5 or thereabouts for a day ticket, (24hr) but not allowed through any River locks.

Geoff

I was down there earlier this year and definitely think its worth going onto the river for a bit more privacy.

£5 or thereabouts for a day ticket, (24hr) but not allowed through any River locks.

Geoff

So are you saying you can do this instead of a licence? I didn't know that. Where do you pay?

Roy

So are you saying you can do this instead of a licence? I didn't know that. Where do you pay?

Roy

Short term licenses are available from the Tourist Information Office (also one of the dayboat places nearby but I cant remember which one) adjacent to Bancroft Basin.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...