Four Counties

AllanW

Featured Posts

If anyone here is on the Four Counties this next week look out for Wedgewood and say 'Hi' or better still, come and 'ave a beer if ya see us moored up :rolleyes:

Starting Sat 14th from Heritage - clockwise

Allan

If anyone here is on the Four Counties this next week look out for Wedgewood and say 'Hi' or better still, come and 'ave a beer if ya see us moored up :boat:

Starting Sat 14th from Heritage - clockwise

Allan

Might see you between Heritage and Gt Heywood on our way to Stratford. Will pass Kent Green someitme on Saturday.

Maybe we could share a tunnel. :rolleyes:

Might see you between Heritage and Gt Heywood on our way to Stratford. Will pass Kent Green someitme on Saturday.

Maybe we could share a tunnel. :rolleyes:

Hi Graham - might just do that...

Btw - Stratford is a wonderful run - especially if you haven't done it before. Be sure to stop at the Boot on the Lapworth flight - probably the best pub food I've ever had! :boat: And the Blue Bell cider house is worth a stop too.

All the best

Allan

Hi Graham - might just do that...

Btw - Stratford is a wonderful run - especially if you haven't done it before. Be sure to stop at the Boot on the Lapworth flight - probably the best pub food I've ever had! :rolleyes: And the Blue Bell cider house is worth a stop too.

All the best

Allan

if thats the same boot we stopped at last year we had steak burger and chips x 4 cost £44 car park was full of jags bentlyd range rovers we were the only boaters in there

spoke to some local boaters the next day god how they laughed

We've done it clockwise once and personally I feel that's the best way to do the Shroppie at least. The first mile or so you're in the suburbs of Wolverhampton but after that you enter countryside and the villages like Brewood - it always feels good when you finally shrug off the urbanisation, whereas the other way you're heading towards Bilbrook and Autherley - not the nicest way to finish your journey on there. It's downhill with the locks and working down is a fair bit quicker than going up. You're less likely to be in a queue at Audlem top lock because the Adderley locks are only a mile before and they separate the boats out a fair bit.

Have a nice trip!

if thats the same boot we stopped at last year we had steak burger and chips x 4 cost £44 car park was full of jags bentlyd range rovers we were the only boaters in there

spoke to some local boaters the next day god how they laughed

Yup that's the one... The two of us had steak followed by eaton mess and it certainly wasn't cheap - but I'd argue it *was* good value. I begrudge paying a fiver for a poor meal - but I have no problem with a tenner or even fifteen for something exceptional.

The car park was full of Harleys on the day we were there, but the only biker trouble was getting the crew back on the boat! If she'd had one good offer I'd have been working the rest of the Lapworth flight by myself methinks :rolleyes:

Allan

We've done it clockwise once and personally I feel that's the best way to do the Shroppie at least. The first mile or so you're in the suburbs of Wolverhampton but after that you enter countryside and the villages like Brewood - it always feels good when you finally shrug off the urbanisation, whereas the other way you're heading towards Bilbrook and Autherley - not the nicest way to finish your journey on there. It's downhill with the locks and working down is a fair bit quicker than going up. You're less likely to be in a queue at Audlem top lock because the Adderley locks are only a mile before and they separate the boats out a fair bit.

Have a nice trip!

Thanks Philip

It was actually a few of your pictures in one of your posts that swung it from the Cheshire ring to the Four Counties for this trip, though I have to say I'm looking forward to Audlem too...

I'll hopefully be posting a few of my own pics in a couple of weeks - the only question is what colour is the sky going to be in them? :rolleyes:

Allan

Thanks Philip

It was actually a few of your pictures in one of your posts that swung it from the Cheshire ring to the Four Counties for this trip, though I have to say I'm looking forward to Audlem too...

I'll hopefully be posting a few of my own pics in a couple of weeks - the only question is what colour is the sky going to be in them? :smiley_offtopic:

Allan

Ahh yes my trip last year - I remember putting those pictures up. It's an interesting route, it holds just about everything - pleasant countryside, industry, different canals and their character, shallow and deep locks, a long tunnel...

The weather's picked up slightly this week, still not what you'd call 'summer weather' - I can't complain though as we had fantastic weather when we went in April - that was more like summer.