French Waterways

gosser

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm thinking about craning French Peel (59ft narrowboat) onto a low-loader, taking it across the Channel on a ferry, and craning it into the French waterways at Calais. The idea is to liveaboard and cruise the French system for a couple of years, punctuated with trips back to the UK to earn money. I've been quoted c. £1400 plus cranage costs for one-way transport. In the early planning stage.I'd welcome relevant information, links, advice etc.

Hi

I'm thinking about craning French Peel (59ft narrowboat) onto a low-loader, taking it across the Channel on a ferry, and craning it into the French waterways at Calais. The idea is to liveaboard and cruise the French system for a couple of years, punctuated with trips back to the UK to earn money. I've been quoted c. £1400 plus cranage costs for one-way transport.  In the early planning stage.I'd welcome relevant information, links, advice etc.

To take your boat to France you will need=

A, Licence. The VNF (Voie Navigable de France) issue these, They do not have anything to do with moorings,unlike BW

B, SSR Registration,currently £12, it lasts for 5 years

C, CEVNI Certificate, obtainable at additional cost when you take the Helmsmans test, which you will have to take in order to get CEVNI.

D, Ships papers, ie, proof of ownership.

E, Insurance.

There are other things to bear in mind, but listed above are the basics.

Once you're over there, you will not want to come back to this antiquated waterway "network"

Ted Cooper

Once you're over there, you will not want to come back to this antiquated waterway "network"

Ted Cooper

Now Ted

You should not talk about our wonderful waterways like that, as the old saying goes, "You can get a wonderful tune out of an old violin" and so with our canals Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

Bottle,

The French system is far superior to anything we have, or are ever likley to have in this country, and if anyone is thinking of going there and living in abject squalor,treating the countryside as a landfill site, as happens here, think again. The French will not tolerate such filth, they'll have you off the water in no time at all. quite right too!

Ted Cooper

Hi

I'm thinking about craning French Peel (59ft narrowboat) onto a low-loader, taking it across the Channel on a ferry, and craning it into the French waterways at Calais. The idea is to liveaboard and cruise the French system for a couple of years, punctuated with trips back to the UK to earn money. I've been quoted c. £1400 plus cranage costs for one-way transport.  In the early planning stage.I'd welcome relevant information, links, advice etc.

How customers David & Pamella Ross did this last year.

They can be contacted via their website

http://www.ross-craft.com

I feel sure they would love to offer advice.

Gary

Edited by Gary Peacock

Bottle,

The French system is far superior to anything we have, or are ever likley to have in this country, and if anyone is thinking of going there and living in abject squalor,treating the countryside as a landfill site, as happens here, think again. The French will not tolerate such filth, they'll have you off the water in no time at all. quite right too!

Ted Cooper

Sounds like they'll get the trains running on time too!

if anyone is thinking of going there and living in abject squalor,treating the countryside as a landfill site, as happens here, think again.

How do you mean ? Like our decent, honest farmers always do ? Broken machinery ? Ah, just dump it in the corner of the field....