Water System

Featured Posts

Hi

I've just been quoted £1000 for an entire water system to be fitted including new calorifier and pumps etc.

The guy is expecting it to take 4 days.

Does this sound resonable?

And what are feelings like about 2nd hand calorifiers.

Hi

I've just been quoted £1000 for an entire water system to be fitted including new calorifier and pumps etc.

The guy is expecting it to take 4 days.

Does this sound resonable?

And what are feelings like about 2nd hand calorifiers.

Seems reasonable to me, I've just paid about £263 inc VAT and materials for my first engine service which took about three/four hours.

I wouldn't use any second hand equipment if you are having a complete refit of the water system. How much can it save out of the £1,000? Poor economy in my view.

regards

Steve

I wouldn't use any second hand equipment if you are having a complete refit of the water system. How much can it save out of the £1,000? Poor economy in my view.

Agreed. Generally good value. A new calorifier can only add about £200 to the total. Money well spent.

Ask him to provide spares for the pumps, etc.

I bought a 50l calorifier on ebay for 80 quid, the pump was 50, the accumulator tank 30, the pressure release valve on calorifier about 5 and the pushfit stuff totalled to about 1200 q (bought from toolstation.com). The taps (bathroom sink, shower/tub, kitchen sink) came to about 70q (again ebay). All beautiful copper. A lot less than 1000. And 4 days' work sounds like too much. I spent 2 half days (and it was my first time doing this). Pushfit is all enjoyable stuff, but if you have no time and extra money hiring the guy seems reasonable.

I may be wrong of course.

moisha

but all those trips to the plumber's merchant to buy the fitting you forgot to buy yesterday (or didn't know you needed) adds to the cost. unless you use a bike :rolleyes:

But you do get to know the plumbers merchants quite well and in my cast the ones near Thurmaston became quite interested in the project.

Nick

Edited for spelling

Edited by Theo