Holiday Exchange

kiwi

Featured Posts

Is anyone interested in exchanging their canal boat for an extended holiday in New Zealand?

We have a modern home on the water's edge in the Bay of Islands together with car and kayaks available in exchange for use of a canal boat for 2-3 months. We are an active retired couple, are experienced boaties and are flexible as to dates. As we have done several house exchanges, we can provide references on the suitability of ourselves, our house and its location.

Maybe ours is a strange request, but please feel free to make any suggestions or comments, or ask if you have any questions.

Thanks, John

In the UK, private boat owners are not allowed to rent their boats out, they have to have a commercial boat license and also commercial insurance, which I've heard is very costly. I don't know if this would still stand if this was a straight exchange, can anyone help?

In the UK, private boat owners are not allowed to rent their boats out, they have to have a commercial boat license and also commercial insurance, which I've heard is very costly. I don't know if this would still stand if this was a straight exchange, can anyone help?

Anytime you let " friends" use the boat, either free or on a barter basis are you breaking the laws of licensing? Perhaps the "friends" should arrange their own craft insurance for the vessel; as private users.

And the same replies in reverse - you are not allowed to rent your home out under conditions of normal home insurance. But people do of course. I guess it makes sense to lay out the ground rules, and tie up loose ends on insurance if you feel the need. My insurance allows 'friends' to have the boat - what's the interpretation?

Good luck Kiwi - wish I were in a position to take you up on the offer :)

And the same replies in reverse - you are not allowed to rent your home out under conditions of normal home insurance. But people do of course. I guess it makes sense to lay out the ground rules, and tie up loose ends on insurance if you feel the need. My insurance allows 'friends' to have the boat - what's the interpretation?

Good luck Kiwi - wish I were in a position to take you up on the offer :cheers:

Our insurance companies, for both house and car, have no problems when we do house exchanges - they make no demands for extra premiums or higher excesses. Even for Americans who drive on the wrong side of the road!

Hi Kiwi,

I don't know if this might help, but it could be worth contacting a few boat clubs.

Our local one South Pennine's details can be found HERE

They are a friendly adventurous lot with quite a few retired people who are in the position where they might take you up on the offer.

It's worth a letter or email anyway.

Good luck!

Edited by Gary Peacock