Perkins Engine Overheating

jackrafferty

Featured Posts

I'm relatively new to boating and a complete novice when it comes to engines. What I believe to be my Perkins engine on my narrow boat has started overheating and I currently have no idea where to begin. The engine runs fine for about 10-15 minutes before the temperature gauge begins to rise and steam begins to show on one of the exhausts.

A little context and possible causes for the issue; I recently did some renovations on the kitchen as a result the water and boiler were both shut off I thought it may be possible that this had caused air to enter the pump and possibly the engine, it was suggested that the engine radiator may need bleeding but as I said before I'm pretty inexperienced so this could be completely wrong. Also when setting off recently I found the boat was wedged on a shallow shelf, in my inexperience the engine was pushed to high revs in order to get going, shortly after the engine begun to overheat.

Ive included some photos of the engine in the hopes that someone may be able to identify the model and if someone with greater experience than myself has any suggestions on how to solve the over heating issue or could impart a small amount of their image.png.9f75c7b4bacf9fc30749d96b944c6f51.pngimage.png.1ff4564ea51a2fdc1575aa39b378eff3.pngknowledge onto me it would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by jackrafferty

Hi, Very little experience working with these engines. I think you will need some one to come out and have a look. If you spend some time cleaning it off first it will make their job easier and time more productive.

1. "One of the exhausts" - exactly what do you mean by this. As far as I can see you only have one exhaust (wrapped in glass fibre tape) and its a dry exhaust. It may steam a little if the tape gets damp/wet but probably only a minute or so after starting. Do you mean one of the sundry pipes/hoses start to steam. If so you probably have a coolant leak close by.

2. I can not see a cooling system header tank where you top up the coolant. If there is not on then the silly thermostat housing with the brass bleed valve on top is nowhere near large enough. Can you find a header tank, photo or supply more info.