Prospective owner seeks advice

Neil2

Featured Posts

Hello out there everyone. I've just registered with the forum in the hope of getting some advice on what I suspect is a common thread, buying one's first boat. My wife and I have spent many happy hours on the inland waterways network, either in hire boats or just walking the towpaths. However, we have steadfastly resisted the temptation to buy, simply because a) we have a pretty grounded view of boat ownership and its costs, and :) we are some distance from the nearest canal (though only 20mins from Englands largest lake...). Anyway, though we do not consider ourselves old, it's fair to say we are on the home stretch so far as retirement goes, and our ambition has long been to spend a few years on the network when we do retire. It's possible that we might have something built nearer that time, or at least buy something approaching our ideal spec., but in the meantime despite our long held reservations we would now like to have our own boat but without incurring huge expense. We have reached a stage in life where we think we will genuinely have the time, money and enthusiasm to devote to it, even if we do have to keep it maybe and hour or so's drive away.

So, let's say we can afford to spend up to £20,000, bearing in mind that in maybe 5/6 years we will be looking to upgrade, would anyone like to offer any advice? I have to admit I am drawn to the idea of a GRP boat on a value for money basis, whereas my wife very much wants a "floating country cottage" - I think you know what I mean. Having spoken to lots of boat owners over the years I see how owning a boat quickly turns you into a pessimist, constantly wondering what is going to go wrong next, and therefore I would like to keep things simple eg outboard power, solid fuel heating, though I am pretty handy. (I always take a tool box with me whenever we hire, and I have always used it.) What do people think about wooden boats? We holidayed on a wooden cruiser a few years ago and really liked it, but they must have died out for a reason, or was it just fashion?

I can see from loking at other threads that there is a lot of experience out there so any opinions would be welcome, however forthright...

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum

I am in a similar position to you inasmuch as I am approaching that time of life when switching from boating holidays to becoming an owner seems to be the right thing to do

I think the most valuable piece of advice I received was to find out as much as I could about boats before committing myself

Consequently I am in the process of doing my research which means watching this forum like a hawk, subscribing to magazines of various types - if you are interested in the potential of a wooden boat can I recommend Classic Boats and Watercraft as well as the regular mags dedicated to the inland waterways. Practical Boat Owner tends to concentrate on sea-going yachts but you can learn a lot about the practicalities of looking after GRP boats.

There are forums dedicated to GRP inland boats - some of the people on here contribute to those as well so look out for the links in their signatures

I also e-mailed all the boatbuiders I could find on the internet and am in the process of visiting the ones I got a favourable reply from - only applies if you are considering having one built of course

Others on the site visit as many marinas as they can to see what is about and for what price

Boat shows are a good place to go especially, for you, the ones which cover a broad scope of boating life - I found the Camping, Caravanning and Outdoor show at the NEC in February quite informative

I think you'll find that wooden boats are not so popular because, compared to GRP, their maintenance is time intensive and therefore costly but their is no doubt that they are beautiful

Good luck in your search

Hello Neil, welcome from another Newbie!!

You may already have seen these boats on other websites but the Atlanta 32, or similar, may quite nicely fill your needs.

Its a similar length to a small NB but made from GRP, with an outboard. They are very well kitted out and mostly within your budget.

And most importantly, it may well appeal to your wife!!!

Good Luck with your research. Once you've bought a boat you never stop looking for another!!!!!

Wooden boats don't like fresh water. That's why there are loads of beautiful wooden sea boats and a few rotten old narrow boats (and even fewer restored wooden narrowboats).

They are work intensive if you get one to restore, but not much worse than a steel boat if you get one fully restored (or you get Jem Bates to build you a new one). Dock them for a week every 4 years for caulking and blacking and they'll outlive you, and any steel boat, before hull repairs are needed.

GRP cruisers can be beautiful inside, and are certainly nicer on the outside than a clonecraft narrow boat (mainly because they look like a real boat).