Surveyours !

onionbargee

Featured Posts

We had a survey done, and 2 years later on the first blacking, the pressure washer opened up big holes in the sole/uxterplate, which is completly rotten and de-laminated, and needs urgent replacement. After getting him back to re-examine the areas, he has of course denied any liability, and found one ultrasound measurement of 7mm, which he's sticking too.

Any one else out there have experience of getting surveyors to admit their sloppy work, or any surveyors who can tell me what i should reasonably expect from a survey ?

I think you will have trouble, unless you have insurance. Check with your insurance company, see if you have a legal aid cover option. If so, ask them for advice.

I lost a sale because of the reverse - a survey that stated 2mm thickness in the pitting. I had the boat re-surveyed by someone else, and the thinnest measurement was 4mm - we double-checked with a 2nd instrument.

There are some sloppy surveyors out there.

Afraid I have only limited experience with surveyors, but I would have thought that steel that rotten would have reared its ugly head in other ways during survey-why didn't he tap it with a hammer for instance?-steel so rotten has a dead sound to it. It makes something of a mockery of surveys if so rotten a boat can pass as ok. Were the surveyors qualifications genuine? There were some dodgy ones about some three or so years ago. Trading standards may be worth a phone call.

Good luck.

I would suggest that you take a detailed look at precisely what the surveyor said in his report about the hull, I have seen some survey reports that were so woolly with so many get out clauses that they are worthless as legal documents. If a surveyor has undertaken ultrasound measurements, they should be taken at regular intervals along the hull (including the bottom plate) and the positions and readings identified in the report, together with a judgement of whether the readings are satisfactory. It is my view that only one reading of any hull is totaly inadequate and, unless you agreed to only one reading being taken, negligent. If negligence can be demonstrated, I would seriously consider legal action to recover your costs of both the survey and the repairs.

Over the years I have used three surveyors and as a consequence have formed a view which I believe is worth putting forward. Always use a surveyor who is a properly Qualified Marine Engineer, and has substantial experience on a wide range of craft. Ask around before appointing a surveyor, you will soon find out who is reliable and who is a cowboy. Remember you don't want someone who will overlook serious faults just to let you or the seller off the hook. In the long run it is better to get someone who is thorough and concientious, they may not produce the report you want to read but it is less likely to lead to problems later on.

The three surveyors I have used have all been suprerceeded for good reasons, the first was an ex Merchant Navy Cheif Engineer and moved to another area, The second was a former Royal Navy Commander (Engineer), and retired from the BSS scheme, The current surveyor holds a Doctorate in Marine Engineering and amongst other things, is a consultant Marine Engineer to a number of overseas Governments.