Seating Material ?

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi all.

On my rebuild of my boat I need to make a set of seating cushions for the cabin. Ok I am not doing this job as T is the master in this field.

We have a large dog that moults a lot so I want a material that does not hold hair to easy and can be vacuumed off with ease with a small Dirt Devil type vac.

I have been told of a few types of material that are good for not holding dog hair but for the life of me can I remember the name of them. I am not keen on leather types material in the cabin.

Can any folk on here suggest what to look for please.

Thanks

Wayne :)

Alcantara?

Alcantara is a covering material manufactured and marketed by Alcantara SpA. It is primarily used in the design, fashion, accessories, consumer electronics, automotive and marine industries. The material was developed in the early 1970s by Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for the Japanese chemical company Toray Industries. It was based on the same technology as another product from the same company named Ultrasuede. Around 1972, a joint venture between Italian chemical company ENI and Toray formed Alcantara SpA in order to manufacture and distribute the material. The company is now owned by Toray and Mitsui.
Edited by Ray T

"Alcantara" ? so will the price be under £10 per running metre?

There are plenty of vinyls that are suitable for cockpit cushions, easy to clean, etc, so they might be suitable for cabin cushions.

My father's boat and our earlier Norman Conquest both had vinyl cushions in the cabin, and they worked well. Sweat can accumulate on the surface but not as bad as soaking through fabric.

Wayne, I am very pleased to contribute to your quest to refurbish your boat, Last night I found your thread for the renovation, and I was captured by your enthusiasm and energy, so much so, I read the whole thread, well to be fair, mostly your contribution with the pictures. Well done.

Richard

Edited by RD1

Alcantara?

Alcantara is a covering material manufactured and marketed by Alcantara SpA. It is primarily used in the design, fashion, accessories, consumer electronics, automotive and marine industries. The material was developed in the early 1970s by Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for the Japanese chemical company Toray Industries. It was based on the same technology as another product from the same company named Ultrasuede. Around 1972, a joint venture between Italian chemical company ENI and Toray formed Alcantara SpA in order to manufacture and distribute the material. The company is now owned by Toray and Mitsui.

That could well be the one, or like it as I remember it having a Sued/velvet feel to it.

Thank you for that ;)

"Alcantara" ? so will the price be under £10 per running metre?

There are plenty of vinyls that are suitable for cockpit cushions, easy to clean, etc, so they might be suitable for cabin cushions.

My father's boat and our earlier Norman Conquest both had vinyl cushions in the cabin, and they worked well. Sweat can accumulate on the surface but not as bad as soaking through fabric.

Wayne, I am very pleased to contribute to your quest to refurbish your boat, Last night I found your thread for the renovation, and I was captured by your enthusiasm and energy, so much so, I read the whole thread, well to be fair, mostly your contribution with the pictures. Well done.

Richard

I am going to pop into Dunelm as they do a good selection of materials so they could sell a few types and maybe advise me also.

I see the Alcantatra is not chap at over £50 per m at 1.5m wide., unless i am looking in the wrong places. that being Ebay and quick google search.

Glad you enjoyed the pic flic on the Wee One :, I guess it would take a while to read through it now..( Wee One is not that name of the boat yet, still deciding )