Roland -Trip Boat - Burscough

rogerb

Featured Posts

I understand that a trip boat called Roland operated from Burscough about 10-15 years ago and wonder what happened to the people who owned her.

I met a very nice couple who live on their boat and have a mooring at Rufford last year - the lady said that she worked on this boat from time to time.

Where is Roland now and does anybody have more info about her?

Roger

I understand that a trip boat called Roland operated from Burscough about 10-15 years ago and wonder what happened to the people who owned her.

I met a very nice couple who live on their boat and have a mooring at Rufford last year - the lady said that she worked on this boat from time to time.

Where is Roland now and does anybody have more info about her?

Roger

I remeber Roland being in service. I seem to remember it got vandalised at some point, but have a feeling it is at Wigan now. Others may know better.

I remeber Roland being in service. I seem to remember it got vandalised at some point, but have a feeling it is at Wigan now. Others may know better.

There was an article in Waterways World in November 1988 (I've got an index as well as an anorak!) which charted its restoration from a pile of kelson and ribs in to a beautiful restored wooden L&L short boat. Unfortunately it seemed destined as an ornamenatal piece in the middle of Trencherfield Gardens, Wigan.

I wonder if it is still there and whether the last 20 years has been kind to it.

Paul

Edited by Paul H

There was an article in Waterways World in November 1988 (I've got an index as well as an anorak!) which charted its restoration from a pile of kelson and ribs in to a beautiful restored wooden L&L short boat. Unfortunately it seemed destined as an ornamenatal piece in the middle of Trencherfield Gardens, Wigan.

I wonder if it is still there and whether the last 20 years has been kind to it.

Paul

Hi Paul - could you let me have the link to the Waterways World article - lots of people in the Wigan area remember Roland but dont know what happened to her.

Roger

Not a link because it was a magazine article and Waterways World doesn't have an online presence. I think you're thinking of the website Narrowboatworld.

But if you're in the Wigan area - can you confirm whether it is still in Trencherfield Gardens?

If you PM me with your address I can pop a photocopy of the 1988 article in the post if you'd like.

Paul

Not a link because it was a magazine article and Waterways World doesn't have an online presence. I think you're thinking of the website Narrowboatworld.

But if you're in the Wigan area - can you confirm whether it is still in Trencherfield Gardens?

If you PM me with your address I can pop a photocopy of the 1988 article in the post if you'd like.

Paul

I dont think it is still at Wigan as my understanding is that she was a barge conversion - the only two barges at Wigan belong to Derek and it wasnt one of those - I will send my address to you by PM and I would be obliged if you could send a photocopy to me - are you still boating in the wigan area?

Roger

Hi Paul - could you let me have the link to the Waterways World article - lots of people in the Wigan area remember Roland but dont know what happened to her.

Roger

I don't know what has happened to her, but here she was 40 years ago:-

Roland-1.jpg

Easter 1967, Poolstock

Tim

I don't know what has happened to her, but here she was 40 years ago:-

Roland-1.jpg

Easter 1967, Poolstock

Tim

As I said earlier in the thread - 20 years ago she was an exhibit on dry land in Trencherfield Gardens which I think is near Wigan Peir - I don't know the area at all. I suspect Roland has long since disintegrated as boats out of water are prone to do or been torched.

Roger - I'll get the article off to you later this week.

Paul

the area around Trencherfield Mill (which is where it would have been) is being re-developed.

Somebody told me that Roland ended up at Botany Bay, Chorley boatyard as a liveaboard but there is no evidence for this - the boats there are purpose built canal cruisers - perhaps this is a mystery that wont be solved?

Roger

i think ambush comes every third weekend , must be doing well as he did not have a single bottle of gas left for sale on the boat.

he will always call back in his pickup rather than leave boats short.

think it was 15 squid for gas 13 kg propane from ambush and for the same from calor main depot in liverpool just under 19 squids , the calor depot deals in thousands of units but charges more , why?

Paul

Thanks for the article which you posted to me - very detailed - you must have quite an archive.

I wonder what happened to Tommy Doyle who restored her and Marylyn Freer who sorted out the finance.

The early 80's were golden years for Wigan with the commissioning of Kittiwake, Netta and Emma - somebody must have been driving this growth - does anyone know who - I think it must have been somebody in the Education Dept as they were all public boats owned by that department.

Kittiwake has just been sold - Emma and Netta will be sold at the end of this year - the end of an era.

Roger

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the article which you posted to me - very detailed - you must have quite an archive.

I wonder what happened to Tommy Doyle who restored her and Marylyn Freer who sorted out the finance.

The early 80's were golden years for Wigan with the commissioning of Kittiwake, Netta and Emma - somebody must have been driving this growth - does anyone know who - I think it must have been somebody in the Education Dept as they were all public boats owned by that department.

Kittiwake has just been sold - Emma and Netta will be sold at the end of this year - the end of an era.

Roger