strange hole on Morso Squirrel

hounddog

Featured Posts

Underneath the front of my Squirrel is a lever that opens or closes a circular hole in the back of the stove about 40mm diameter.

Anyone know what it's for?

The door doesn't have the secondary air intake, which is also a bit odd in my experience. Could this be connected?

I have no idea, presumably it's not the 1410 as it doesn't have air wash. I'm guessing it's 10 years old.

its for getting air into the stove to control the heat, fully open should get the fire raging and slowly closing it afterwards will give a steady heat source/slumber.

it certainly doesn't have that effect, I've played with it but with no obvious difference.

identical to this one;

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/232073227055

you can see the knob I mean in picture 10

does it have the turning disc on the ash door? if so you need to open it along with the bar underneath to get air in. opening the ash door slightly also helps the draw.

yes, draws fine but no difference, wheel open, ash pan door open or close, the hole in the back does nothing I can tell. Roars like a good un with bottom air.

I need to identify the model and find the manual it seems.

the hole is in the space behind the back boiler and adjacent to the glue so wouldn't, in any event , draw air over the fuel.

maybe it's for cleaning ash from that space.

yes, draws fine but no difference, wheel open, ash pan door open or close, the hole in the back does nothing I can tell. Roars like a good un with bottom air.

I need to identify the model and find the manual it seems.

the hole is in the space behind the back boiler and adjacent to the glue so wouldn't, in any event , draw air over the fuel.

maybe it's for cleaning ash from that space.

i have the slightly newer version of this and its a 1430 clean air, the hole at the back is part of the airwash system, supposedly to keep the glass clean but it doesn't.

Edited by GoodGurl

i have the slightly newer version of this and its a 1430 clean air, the hole at the back is part of the airwash system, supposedly to keep the glass clean but it doesn't.

Ah, ok. thanks.

that's the gubbins. Do you have a manual?

That's great. Thanks. I guess it should be open to burn off any secondary combustion.

This is a little disturbing;

"Your stove is intended for intermittent use."

Is that 'intermittent' as in I don't use it between July and November?

yes :lol:

The lever at the bottom controls the amount of air going to the top of the fire which helps to control the rate at which fuel burns, which you can notice more when burning wood. Push it to the right for the maximum rate and to the left to reduce. The bottom rotary control is to control the air from the bottom and hence control the amount of draw up the flue. In a boat their effects can be difficult to see I must admit.