24v DC Generator Qustions

Featured Posts

Morning all. I have not posted lately as my build has been put back till next year,but I do visit

most days to read the interesting topics.

Anyway I have managed to get hold of a 24v dc generator, it will need a new engine and this will need to

be marinised , hopefully will be able to use the waste heat for heating in the cabin.

Here is the link to the generator. I am sorry but I am unable to add the hyper-link as it just will not let

me ,hopefully a kind Mod can add the link as I am unable to edit any of my posts.

http://controllis.com/products/Controllis_DCPP.pdf

I have a few question hopefully you kind members can advise me on.

1 I can also fit a travel power unit on the new engine so it will also generate 220 v AC but is this

actually worth it ?

2 If the generator is running and I don't fit a travel power alternator would drawing heavy loads out of the battery bank

via the inverter damage the battery bank or reduce it's lifespan.

I would still have the 24v alternator on the engine for topping up while cruising, but I don't need to

start the main engine just to charge the batteries on bad weather days or in the winter.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any advise you can give

Mark

What did it cost? do you have an engine in mind?

It came off a Perkins 403 engine so I expect it will go back onto a Perkins, I would like to use a Kubota,but the modification

would not be worth it. As for the cost it has cost me a good few pints !!! my friend wanted the engine but had no use for the

generator. it is second hand, but I know the history of this unit, it has only done about 50hrs.

Edited by I Spartacus