Rivers Lee and Stort

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

I had some time today, so I have posted my photographs of these beautiful but quiet rivers to the gallery.

If you have any plans to visit London, they are well worth an extended visit and readily accessible

from central London either by the Regents Canal or the Tideway.

River Lee and Stort

the 2012 olympics might bring the inner M25 bit alive more

im planning on heading over that way towards the end of summer, august september time ish.

does it flood much during winter? is it navigable all year round or does it get a bit like the wey or thames, where it can run fast in winter making it impossible to move

We will see what effect the Olympics has ?

I normally make a dash for Stonebridge Lock and then carry on next day to get past the M25.

Very occasionally in Winter, excessive rain will cause the levels to rise so that they padlock the paddles.

It normally only confines boats to pounds for a few days and it only generally happens once or twice a year .

Typically, the upper stretches (beyond the M25) are flood free and navigable most of the year.

Summer time should be no problem.

the 2012 olympics might bring the inner M25 bit alive more

im planning on heading over that way towards the end of summer, august september time ish.

does it flood much during winter? is it navigable all year round or does it get a bit like the wey or thames, where it can run fast in winter making it impossible to move

Edited by NB Willawaw

We will see what effect the Olympics has ?

I normally make a dash for Stonebridge Lock and then carry on next day to get past the M25.

Very occasionally in Winter, excessive rain will cause the levels to rise so that they padlock the paddles.

It normally only confines boats to pounds for a few days and it only generally happens once or twice a year .

Typically, the upper stretches (beyond the M25) are flood free and navigable most of the year.

Summer time should be no problem.

Hi Mark

Talking of Stonebridge Lock, hows the moorings around that area, and is their anywhere to get a meal?

James

We're hoping for cleaner as soon as possible. My kids row for Lea Rowing Club, and the stuff they see in the water is unspeakable. Apparently rogue builders have plumbed waste into the storm drains, and a sewage plant can't cope when it has rained too much. That and the old sofas etc that get chucked in, it won't be a great advert for the area in this state! Apparently the councils are onto it now as the Olympics looms, but it has been like this for years and it's only just getting fixed.

By the way, the cafe opposite Springfield Marina do great grub!

Why does everyone want to make a dash for Stonebridge? Yes its a nice spot and great for seeing the only open air section of the Victoria Line, the marshes, and of course the massive new Tesco and Ikea superstores. Stonebridge is a bit of a noisy spot though because of the North-South orbital road running close by.

But there's Springfield which I much prefer and the cafe there does great breakfasts. Another spot is by the Middlesex Nature reserve just south of Lea bridge. These locations are pretty safe.

We're hoping for cleaner as soon as possible. My kids row for Lea Rowing Club, and the stuff they see in the water is unspeakable. Apparently rogue builders have plumbed waste into the storm drains, and a sewage plant can't cope when it has rained too much. That and the old sofas etc that get chucked in, it won't be a great advert for the area in this state! Apparently the councils are onto it now as the Olympics looms, but it has been like this for years and it's only just getting fixed.

Yes it was on BBC Tv a couple of months ago (there's a thread somewhere I think) sometimes I think the Lee Navigation should be called the Pee navigation - or perhaps better still Peeshit's Big Adventure (a take off from Peewit's Big Adventure) it must be the only 'theme park' that features shit as its main attraction!

Oi, don't knock Stonebridge, it's our home mooring and we love it! I don't find it noisy, but then again I've lived in London 16 years, so it's very quiet compared with most places.

The waters' not so dirty up here, it seems to be worse below Tottenham Lock, some of the fish up here are gigantic.

It's very quiet here, most people moor above Stonebridge lock opposite the moorings. Do make sure you holler accross the river at us if we are here.

Don't moor towards Tottenham Lock.

If you want to eat out, cycle from Stonebridge to Tottenham High Road. When I get back to London (currently in Zhuhai, home of the Chinese narrowboat, believe it or not), I'll try and remember the name of one restaurant in particular. It's Turkish and there is live music at weekends.

Theres also The Ferry Boat in Tottenham (on the main road that goes over Tottenham Lock, walk east about five minutes past the hand car wash place), for pub food, and also the Lockside Lounge, big posh (ish) restaurant overlooking the lock.

Honey Ryder - it only flooded a little bit this winter, but it's really not like a river at all - theres no real current.

Another point to note: The electric side of the lock at Stonebridge might be switched off at the moment. Reason for this? It's so leaky, if anyone leaves a gate open, our pound drains to almost empty within hours, so I think they switched it off til it can be repaired. The manual side on the Stonebridge Lock is very slow, it's not broken, it was just designed that way!

Please please close the lock gates on the Lee, it's kind of an Urban myth that it's ok to leave the gates open, it's not!

Edited by Lady Muck

Oi, don't knock Stonebridge, it's our home mooring and we love it! I don't find it noisy, but then again I've lived in London 16 years, so it's very quiet compared with most places.

The waters' not so dirty up here, it seems to be worse below Tottenham Lock, some of the fish up here are gigantic.

It's very quiet here, most people moor above Stonebridge lock opposite the moorings. Do make sure you holler accross the river at us if we are here.

Don't moor towards Tottenham Lock.

I didnt knock Stonebridge ok? I just said why does it have to be the place to head for (as if the rest of the bit southwards was something to be avoided)

I've moored at Stonebridge many times, but its not the only option.

And yes, dont moor above Tottenham lock - unless one wants to start counting their 123's!!