Multi purpose

Featured Posts

I'm going to build a boat to retire on eventually on the canal du midi but to spend time here first until the time comes I'm an ex trawlerman and was going to cross the channel picking my weather very carefully I'm wanting to know what would be an ideal length and beam and was thinking about 50' X 8' with draught to be determined along the way with hull shape/ chine etc was thinking of steel hull but considered aluminium , even considered a ply hull fibre glassed ( as a coach builder steel and timber are my areas of expertise) any thoughts or input would be appreciated as I'm wallowing at the moment thanks everyone and congratulations for a grey no-nonsense site Will

8ft seems like a very odd beam to me.

Will not allow you onto UK narrow canals and there is nowhere I am aware of which is limited to 8ft.

I'd go wider as the space is very useful on a residential vessel.

My replica English barge is 58x12 and I find that a nice size to handle by myself comfortably without any helpers. (4 people live on it but the ladies do not participate in boat handling activities)

For just one or two persons i would consider slightly smaller maybe 50x12