Fuel tank vents/flame traps...

Featured Posts

Hi All... Do any members have this system?............I'd like to know of any problems caused by them being so close to the tank top (narrowboats) or even down to them just getting in the way...

Cheers people......

Hi All... Do any members have this system?............I'd like to know of any problems caused by them being so close to the tank top (narrowboats) or even down to them just getting in the way...

Cheers people......

Have one on the bollard on my boat and it causes no problem, don't even notice it's there.

The main problem I see with Flame traps in rear deck studs is that the stud is weakened because it hollow and usually has to be bolted onto the deck. This makes it virtually useless for towing, and certainly unsuitable for using in an emergency to hold an anchor. I much prefer solid Studs welded (and bolted) to the deck so that they can do the job they are designed to do.

There is no need for the flame traps to be on the deck at all, or to be sticking out of the cabin side where you can scuff your ankles on them. Much better to have internal flame traps below the gunwale and connected to the breather pipes with swan neck pipes under the rear deck.

Edited by David Schweizer

The main problem I see with Flame traps in rear deck studs is that the stud is weakened because it hollow and usually has to be bolted onto the deck. This makes it virtually useless for towing, and certainly unsuitable for using in an emergency to hold an anchor. I much prefer solid Studs welded (and bolted) to the deck so that they can do the job they are designed to do.

There is no need for the flame traps to be on the deck at all, or to be sticking out of the cabin side where you can scuff your ankles on them. Much better to have internal flame traps below the gunwale and connected to the breather pipes with swan neck pipes under the rear deck.

1) They're Dollies, not studs. Studs are the Tee-shaped things used normally on the top of the stem. :rolleyes:

2) There's no reason why they should be seriously weakened by being hollow. Most of the strength is in the outer part. They can be welded just like a solid version, just as soundly.

3) Vents have to be above the filler cap, & the filler has to be arranged for any spillage to go overboard, so not sure how you plan to arrange the last bit.

Tim

3) Vents have to be above the filler cap, & the filler has to be arranged for any spillage to go overboard, so not sure how you plan to arrange the last bit.

Flame Arresters below the Gunwale are, and always have been, permitted. See Chapter 2, Page 13 of the BSS book.

Flame Arresters below the Gunwale are, and always have been, permitted. See Chapter 2, Page 13 of the BSS book.

I don't think they 'always have been' permitted. There used to be a requirement for the vent to rise at least 100mm (IIRC) above the filler.

I have to say I wasn't aware (until today :rolleyes: )that the swan neck to deck level was accepted now.

Tim

I don't think they 'always have been' permitted. There used to be a requirement for the vent to rise at least 100mm (IIRC) above the filler.

I have to say I wasn't aware (until today :rolleyes: )that the swan neck to deck level was accepted now. Tim

The swan neck option was there in the 2002 (red/grey/blue) first edition, but so too was athe recommendation to achieve where possible the 100mm above the filling point. I've not back to the 97' blue/gey or even further back to the 93 and 1980's grey versions.

Regards

I have to say I wasn't aware (until today :rolleyes: )that the swan neck to deck level was accepted now.

Tim

I can assure you that the Swan neck Arrangement has always been permitted, My boat was built in 1981 with that arrangement and has passed numerous BSS examinations, since 1993

I agree that the wording in early copies of the boatowner's booklet was unclear insofar as it merely stated that "A vent pipe shall extend to a height equal to or greater than that of the deck filling connection...", without actually referring to the Swan Neck arrangement.but the Swan Neck arrangement was clearly illustrated in the Examiners Manual from the beginning of the scheme.

The ommission from the boatowner's booklet was not rectified until the much larger version was issued in 2002.

Yes it is not a requirement anymore, above the fuel level is OK now. A similar rule was made for fuel lines entering the tank, that is why on many traditional sterns the fuel pipes can be seen rising above deck level then passing down into the tank.

A note about gauze and sintered bronze breathers, they can block quite readily, last summer when opening then filler to check the fuel one morning I heard a 'hiss' of air, the tank had held a slight pressure or vacuum overnight. Easily cured by scraping the gunge off the fiter material.

Edited by John Orentas