Halesowen Road Wharf, Netherton

Heartland

Featured Posts

The Dudley No 2 Canal winds through Netherton from Bumble Hole to Parkhead. A notable survivor from the past is the former interchange basin at Withymoor, now used for moorings. On the west side of Halesowen Road bridge (Bishton's Bridge) was an early Dudley Canal wharf, that became William Bishtons wharf. The buildings there still remain. Part was once used as a Shropshire Union Railway & Canal Carrying Co wharf. In recent times Batchit the laboratory suppliers used these buildings until recent times, but they are now vacant and for sale. Such is their heritage value, it would be sad to see them removed. Also on adjacent strip of land were limekilns, which remain, I believe, though are overgrown.

Ray Shill

I know "Batchit" very well, the owner is a friend. The premises were sold around 12 months back for redevelopment. The buildings were originally a public house & brewery, the interior is largely still original and I would be surprised if the building had been anything else. The lime kilns do exist although somewhat buried. I presume you are talking about "Dudley Wood wharf" in this instance, which was SUC&C / BCN operated?

Edited by Laurence Hogg

It was known as Dudley Wood Wharf and nearby were the four blast furnaces operated by the British Iron Co. The buildings are quite old, and perhaps, listable, but as you known applications for listings are accompanied by the pyrotechnic crazed troglodytes who simply love to see worthwhile heritage structures burned to cinders.

In 1858 William Bishton junior operated a packet boat through the new Netherton Tunnel to Dudley Wood Wharf

Ray Shill

• 2 months later...