3 way fridge gas issue

Danny T

Featured Posts

Hello

I live on my boat all year, I normally have my 3 way Dometic fridge on gas, and I've never had a problem. Recently my CO alarm went off in the night, 2 nights running. I changed the alarm too to check that this was the problem. The only solution was turning the fridge off. I changed it to 240V for a couple of weeks, and now I am trying gas again it won't even light properly. After many attempts I got it to light, but the flame sounds like it pulses intermittently, and it gives off a burning smell that it didn't used to.

Any ideas?

I know that the easiest option is to find an engineer, but I can't afford it at the moment, and would like to fix it by myself if possible.

However the contact of an engineer that works with gas fridges in the Lancaster area would also be appreciated, just in case I can't fix it myself!

Thanks v much for any help

Danny

Hello

I live on my boat all year, I normally have my 3 way Dometic fridge on gas, and I've never had a problem. Recently my CO alarm went off in the night, 2 nights running. I changed the alarm too to check that this was the problem. The only solution was turning the fridge off. I changed it to 240V for a couple of weeks, and now I am trying gas again it won't even light properly. After many attempts I got it to light, but the flame sounds like it pulses intermittently, and it gives off a burning smell that it didn't used to.

Any ideas?

I know that the easiest option is to find an engineer, but I can't afford it at the moment, and would like to fix it by myself if possible.

However the contact of an engineer that works with gas fridges in the Lancaster area would also be appreciated, just in case I can't fix it myself!

Thanks v much for any help

Danny

Sounds like it needs servicing. The gas jet, burner and flue cleaning. This generally needs doing every couple of years.

• Greenie 1

now I am trying gas again it won't even light properly. After many attempts I got it to light, but the flame sounds like it pulses intermittently, and it gives off a burning smell that it didn't used to.

Any ideas?

Yes. You haven't been having it annually serviced have you?!

If not then this is bound to be an accumulation of dust, cat hair etc in the gas burner air port and/or gas jet area. Get a piece of thin rubber tube and blow through it, directing the end into the burner jet and all around it and underneath it.

Post a photo of the burner assembly if you can, should this not fix the problem and have it burning with a steady and blue flame.

And as Bizz says, make sure the flue (the 30mm diameter vertical tube above the flame) is clear of spider webs, dust etc too.

Great advice, thanks! No, never been serviced! Yeah, loads of flakes of corroded metal had dropped down, so I took the unit apart and cleaned it. It lights dead easy now, however it's not staying lit, even after holding the gas knob down for over 30 secs. What could that be?

Thanks again for the advice!

Great advice, thanks! No, never been serviced! Yeah, loads of flakes of corroded metal had dropped down, so I took the unit apart and cleaned it. It lights dead easy now, however it's not staying lit, even after holding the gas knob down for over 30 secs. What could that be?

Thanks again for the advice!

Check that the fail safe thermo couple bulb is in the flame. If it is and it doesn't stay alight it probably needs a new one.