Waeco Freezer

Ralph Claydon

Featured Posts

Hi

Can anybody help me with this problem.

I have been thinking of buying a 12 volt Freezer for the boat, When i was looking at the Waeco CF 35. I was told that it only freezes on 240 AC and that when on 12 volt it becomes a coolbox.This seems strange to me.

Does anybody have any views in this?

Ralph

Hi,

Well, £499 does look expensive to me!

Sorry, what I meant was that it probably pulls too much power over too long a time for a standard battery bank to cope with without going flat too fast - hence the fridge/coolbox only at 12V. Running directly from 240V via a shoreline would be sufficient power to get it to frozen and keep it there.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

Yes the prices look high and I would be inclined to get confirmation that they are all compressor type fridges. Even at 4/5 amps the current seems high and I would be suspicious too about any duty cycle better than 40% some of them claim 20%.

Hi,

Well, £499 does look expensive to me!

Sorry, what I meant was that it probably pulls too much power over too long a time for a standard battery bank to cope with without going flat too fast - hence the fridge/coolbox only at 12V. Running directly from 240V via a shoreline would be sufficient power to get it to frozen and keep it there.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

What's a 'standard battery bank'? My reading of their chart is that it takes average '2 amps per hour' in Freeze mode, I suppose they mean an average of 2 amps taken over an hour (or 2 Ah/hour, 48 Ah per 24 hours) Half that in fridge mode. Quite sinificant, but probably manageable for some.

We've got a little CF-18, run it from the car battery when camping etc. Quite a nice little unit, works very well, except that the lid hinges are cr*p, mind you I got it cheap because they were already broken :)

Tim

If you want definitive advise about Waeco stuff, Kuranda Marine in Whaley Bridge supply them.

They are pricey but supposed to be energy efficient.