Telair Diesel Generator

NigelD

Featured Posts

Is it the same as the dometic ?

The dometic was discussed recently. Quite noisy on account of being an air cooled yanmar (or Hatz?) Power unit without an intercooler so it can not be boxed in.

Not sure but I think it may be the same unit as this http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84245

However, looking at their website they advertise Mase generators.

Mase do a small (~2.5kw) marine diesel generator in a soundproof enclosure which has a yanmar air cooled diesel engine and an intercooler so that the cooling air can be cooled by water. I saw one at the boat show - it is a very compact unit and interesting except that the small air cooled units are not really designed for longevity so it might be a bit "gimmicky"

There is a second hand one on eBay - not the current model but similar http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231962583338

Thanks for the info. The one I have found is out of a ambulance and being very compact and not as loud (or quiet) as others seems a good compromise for 2 KW. I am trying to minimise my energy requirements so this should be fine for when I am moored up for a few days and need to charge the batteries etc. I looked seriously at the MASE but it is also quite loud. The only ones that seemed really good are the Fischer Panda class but out of my range. I am thinking of mounting the Telair in the engine room with the JP3, have a bit of space to pop it in the corner also is ideal for fuel (diesel day tank) and exhaust up through the roof and battery local for starting. The intercooler idea is not too difficult to implement and could potentially be used along with addition sound insulation. Another option is to take the air inlet down to near the bottom plate which should give a reasonably constant inlet/cooling air temperature - should be an interesting project.