Mixing oil

Featured Posts

Well, well, just cleaned the shed out (is it that time of year already?) and found some old but unused synthetic engine oil! Must be from when I had my Shogun so at least 5 years old. No good for my boat or my current ford (Zetec) so gonna burn it off in the diesel on the boat. What is the maximum oil ratio I can safely burn?

(12 litres to use up in Vetus/Mitsubishi engine.)

Many thanks.

100%, but it depends on the time of year and capability/adaption of the engine and fuel system. The limit is to do with the viscosity of the oil. Based on that, I'd personally only go to about 10% in normal winter (severe would be 0%, when even normal diesel starts to wax up) and say 30-40% in spring/summer. But I don't think you'll be anywhere near them, if its a 5l can of oil. So you should be fine.

100%, but it depends on the time of year and capability/adaption of the engine and fuel system. The limit is to do with the viscosity of the oil. Based on that, I'd personally only go to about 10% in normal winter (severe would be 0%, when even normal diesel starts to wax up) and say 30-40% in spring/summer. But I don't think you'll be anywhere near them, if its a 5l can of oil. So you should be fine.

Thanks Paul cheers.gif

As an aside, Vetus told me that this engine is OK on semi and fully sympathetic oil, and seemed to have no preference for any particular type. "Just use any good quality oil (of the correct grade.)"

How do you persuade an oil to be sympathetic? Talk nicely to it? :)

T C