Montgomery Canal

nebulae

Featured Posts

Went for a walk along the Montgomery Canal yesterday .Parked by Pool Quay Lock .First time walking this length since the new towpath surface laid. The lock is very attractive with its lock keepers house and other buildings. Strange how a canal that was abandoned 70 years ago,still has these structures,while so many small buildings connected with other canals which are popular cruiseways have been demolished

Its the fact that these old buildings have survived amongst dereliction that impresses me. As an example of an important building on a popular canal long demolished,the lock keepers house at Compton on the Staffs and Worcester(Reputed to be Brindleys first lock). Also,the complex of buildings at Aldersley Junction no longer with us .On the other hand lock keepers cottages at Pool Quay, Guilsfield ,Brynderwen,and Byles Lock,among other interesting minor buildings have survived dereliction on the Montgomery Canal into restoration.

• 2 weeks later...

Guilsfield? That was a branch

Certainly of interest that the lock cottages have survived along the Montgomery, although the Pool Quay Lock restoration was an early part of the Montgomery story

Compton Lock - well James Brindley encouraged construction along a length of the Staffs & Worcestershire with contractors starting at more than one place. Brindley worked on the engineering for Salterhebble before that as Pluto may confirm.

Ray Shill

The cottage at the junction of the Guilsfield Branch was sliding into dereliction. It was then restored by BWB. Not been past for a couple of years .They were using it as a local office. According to Dr.J.Ian Langford,Compton Lock on the S&W was Brindleys first lock. Maybe others have research which proves otherwise? I have read somewhere that he built a small experimental lock in the grounds of a house belonging to a family member before starting work on any canal?

Yes,

Ian Langford did suggest that Compton Lock was the earliest built on the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal, however the report books of John Green, which may not have been available at the time Mr Langford compiled his research, indicate a different progress of construction. I mention the spread of that construction along the canal from 1766 on P 30 of my book Silent Highways where the question is raised that Compton may have been completed after other locks at Wightwick or Dimmingsdale. That Compton was completed early on during the building process is difficult to deny,, but in the group of locks that initially dropped from the summit level downs the Severn, it was one of that group that was completed first, but it is difficult to state it was the FIRST completed. In fact for the movement of spoil boats using the water supply from the summit, it would not be an ultimate requirement for that to be the case.

Ray Shill.

Regarding,

The Montgomery Canal at Pool Quay,, whilst it is a very nice and scenic walk, how often do boats pass that way?

In addition to the lock house, there are other wharf buildings including a pair of warehouses alongside the canal, now converted into dwellings from a ruinous state, if I recall correctly.

Further down, on the the road and opposite the Powis Arms is the river Severn, which is now a launch off point for the intrepid canoer who wishes to explore up stream. It was the terminus of navigation along the Severn and apparently the Powis Arms was there then too!

Ray Shill

Sadly,I think the only boats on this section at the moment are the Heulwen boats from Buttington. As of last week,I would say that no boats have been through the lock for a while,judging by the weed growth. The warehouses have indeed been converted,although the end of the building is still "a job in progress" Your point about Compton Lock(Staffs & Wors) is well taken. I still think that it is a shame that the cottage has gone,modest though it may well have been. Close to a road and a settlement,utilities nearby. On the other hand Deptmore Lock (Stafford) has survived,despite subsidence poor access,no utilities,seemingly because it remained occupied until its potential value was identified.Just a lottery,which buildings survive,

• 2 weeks later...

There is an interesting image on the CRT website that shows the lock house at Burgeddin.

On the subject of the canal near Pool Quay, there is a waterway diversion of the Bele Brook which goes off below the aqueduct between 107 and 108. Early maps refer to it as the new cut and it connects with the Severn. it is a man made cut mostly on embankment. But what was its purpose?

• 2 weeks later...

its navigable to bridge 82 so past maesbury, it is open beyond this but nowhere to wind yet.

I should have responded a bit earlier, but from those in the know, where are the southern most moorings on the, other than the CRT moorings (I think they're CRT) at Maesbury? And what of the moorings in the inlet at what used to be Maesbury Marine?