Inverter from Maplin

DaveR

Featured Posts

I was thinking of buying one of these from Maplin before the offer runs up (tomorrow?). However, I noticed that the Maplin FAQ page says that this inverter only has square wave output and not quasi-sine. I suspect that this type is of limited use so I'll continue to shop around.

Noah

To quote from the FAQ

>the output is square wave (modified sign wave)

So they are contradicting themselves there. I don't think anyone sells square wave invertors these days? I think the person writing the FAQ may not be fully qualified to do so. For example in answer to the question

>Is 1000W the continuous output rating....?

they answer

>Like all invertors, if you constantly pull the max wattage it will eventually overheat

Which is true as you would expect this invertor to overheat if you run it at 2500W, which the spec. implies is the maximum power, but does not answer the question.

They also state that it will not run a 700W vacuum cleaner or an 800W electic drill, as they are inductive loads, which I hope is not true.

When I bought my invertors 5 years ago it was the norm to quote an invertors power as the power it could run at for 30 minutes. Today things seem to be better but its alsways worth checking the spec or questioning what the continuous power rating is and at what temperature.

Of course all this is becoming less relevant as the special offer on there invertors has finished,

Phil

They also state that it will not run a 700W vacuum cleaner or an 800W electic drill, as they are inductive loads, which I hope is not true.

I agree. When dealing with a.c. ratings it makes more sense to talk in terms of VA (or kVA) rather than Watts. Inverter manufacturers should specify the output rating either in terms of kVA (or kW + maximum power factor).

Mike

Edited by weeble