Walking the Leeds Liverpool

Featured Posts

I have now done the first 93.25 miles of the Leeds Liverpool canal. Just 34 miles to go, I have planned to do it as 4 walks: Gargrave to Skipton 4.5~ miles, Skipton to Keighley 8~miles, Keighley to Shipley 8~ miles and then Shipley to Leeds ~13 miles.

The Leeds Liverpool is very good for walkers, its almost as if it was designed for us. There are motorways and railways that follow it from Liverpool to Leeds. It has inner city industrial archaeology and architecture, the hills of the Pennines, the Yorkshire Dales.

I still have a mile of the Rufford branch to do, but that doesn't have a towpath. And there is the Leigh branch I am planning to cycle down. And there are the bits that haven't been built yet, the Dock Link from the Stanley Dock arm in Liverpool and the Bradford canal if it is ever built.

Not sure what I will do when I have done the whole canal, photo-ed it and put it on my website. Maybe I will do the Shropshire Union next.

Skipton to Gargrave is one of the nicest walks. Glad you enjoyed it.

You should have waited until next weekend though - Skipton Waterways Festival is on over the Bank Holiday weekend. Hope you can get chance to make it. It's always a good event, and well worth making the effort to get to.

Janet

• 6 months later...

Greenberfield to East Marton is one of the most pleasant stretches of the L&L, IMHO.

If you're interested in steam engines, Bancroft Mill in Barnoldswick has a museum. The engines "James" & "Mary Jane" (cross compound) were recued and restored when the cotton mill was closed in 1978. They are in steam about once a month. For more info, google Bancroft Mill.

After a stroll or easy cycle ride from Barlick along a beautiful scenic towpath with views of the Yorkshire Dales you eventually end up at Wilkinson's Farm at East Marton (double-arched bridge) where you can visit Abbot's Harbour tearooms/restaurant (only open in the afternoons & not on Thursdays) or The Cross Keys pub (great beer and food).

• 7 months later...

I walk regularly from the Saltaire to Bingley Five Rise Locks and Skipton. Often asked for a good place to stay try the Five Rise Locks Hotel in Bingley, also good for something to eat. By the five rise locks is a gate where you can take dogs for a run.

I have now done the first 93.25 miles of the Leeds Liverpool canal.....

And there are the bits that haven't been built yet, the Dock Link from the Stanley Dock arm in Liverpool

That won't have a tow path either and a few bits may be inaccessible. I have already walked much of it, though! [most recent photos here]

Not sure what I will do when I have done the whole canal, photo-ed it and put it on my website. Maybe I will do the Shropshire Union next.

It will take you a long time to catch up with Belgian Michel van den Berge, who is well on the way to having walked most of the waterways of Great Britain:

www.thebw.net

He is currently doing the Leeds and Liverpool in sections.

• 3 weeks later...