New Lock Ladders

valrene9600

Featured Posts

Coming through Stockton on the G.U. I noticed improvements to the lock ladders. The stonework has been cut back and the ladders are now further away from the lock wall.

You can now get the arch of your foot over the rung instead of as before just the ball. Feels much safer.

post-481-0-09028700-1459512749_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-72396800-1459512775_thumb.jpg

Yes, this has been going on a while now at various locations.

I have been told by the maintenance supervisor for GU South that wherever a lock is drained for other work they are incorporating the lock ladder improvements at the same time, (though some recent lock works do not seem to have included it),

As well as making sure there is safe space to get enough of your feet on the rungs, many of those that only used to reach just below water level when the lock was empty are being extended downwards, so you have some chance of being able to climb them if you end up in the empty lock.

The only possible downside is just how much the brick is being cut back on some of them - I hope they know there is always enough lock wall remaining that the integrity of the wall is not compromised.

This is good news. I have big feet and this will help with less chance of slipping.

I wonder if any of the stirrup steps on lock gate beams can be enlarged. The ones on the K & A are big enough for me but most others I have come across are too narrow for my size 12's.