Bugsworth Basin.

John Orentas

Featured Posts

Gathering of boats to commemorate the re-opening of Bugsworth Basin.

Easter Weekend 26 - 28th. March.

Unfortunately the occasion has already been fully subscribed since before the official announcement, (not very satisfactory but there you are). In the region of 100 boats will be attending along with the usual attractions.

There is no reason that visitors cannot moor on the Peak Forest and walk the short distance along the towpath. Those visiting by car may park at the Navigation Pub, Buxworth village near Whaley Bridge.

The basin will be open on a permanent basis from Easter on-wards, if you have never been there it is well worth the trip, you may be surprised at the scale of the complex, there is even a nice pub overlooking the area.

I had a walk around the basin last summer for the first time and it looks like it will be really impressive once it is opened permanently. I'm looking forward to visiting the excellent pub again, when I can moor my boat there (without having to drive home sober!). Hopefully there will be plenty of moorings in the basin with a selection of time stays (eg. 12, 24, 48hr) to give everyone a chance of visiting in peak periods. I remember one bank holiday bottleneck at the end of Upper Peak Forest where there was a huge queue of boats just trying to turn around!

Noah

Hi Noah

As I said in my original thread the Easter 'do' is fully subscribed but the basin will be fully open from the following Tuesday after Easter. I don't think anything has been finally decided but I would be surprised if you will not be allowed a stay of least 48 hours. As you say there is space for a great many boats.

The organisers are slightly obsessed with the idea that the basins will rapidly fill up with permanent 'livaboard' moorers as soon as the stop planks are removed.

The organisers are slightly obsessed with the idea that the basins will rapidly fill up with permanent 'livaboard' moorers as soon as the stop planks are removed.

If they are worried pay for patrols maybe they could catch those who have forgotten to buy their licence and fine them for over staying on moorings.

I say this as a potential permanant cruiser. (boat in planning stage)

Edited by bottle

Bottle.

Don't shoot the messenger, I have it on good authority that in this area it is considered to be not cost effective to chase unlicensed boat owners, presumably it is easier to increase the charges on the rest of us.

John

I had no wish to shoot the messenger. Time and again I read and hear people moaning about the non payers.

I am not permantely on the cut yet but if I see a boat without a licence displayed when I am, I will have no problem with reporting it. If it is not displayed that should also be an offence as with motor vehicles. We have to be proactive, then charges will not rise so rapidly (some hope)