starter bmc

Dutchie

Featured Posts

Hello All

Can somebody tell me if the starter from a BMC 1500 the same is as a starter from a Thornycroft T90

why this question ? i want a starter for spare and found on the internet a starter for a BMC 1500.

Hello All

Can somebody tell me if the starter from a BMC 1500 the same is as a starter from a Thornycroft T90

why this question ? i want a starter for spare and found on the internet a starter for a BMC 1500.

The Thornycroft T90 used the BMC 1500 as the core engine. The starter should be the same as long as it's from a diesel BMC1500.

The diesel one is the pre engaged type.

Edited by Flyboy

Just be aware that very early 1.5s used a two hole mount starter. Then, depending upon the mariniser, the three hole starters fitted had the solenoid in different positions. That probably does not matter much but the ones where the solenoid was underneath did not fair well in boats with shallow bilges and a propensity to leak. There have also been at least two types of main body but again that should not matter, they just look different.

PS - if by some great chance you are unlucky enough to have a two hole starter than as far as I know they became unavailable in the 1970s so you need a new engine backplate, flywheel housing and possibly a flywheel so you can fit a three hole one.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Thanks all for the good info ,

mine T 90 has a three hole starter , and the starter i found on internet is also a three hole starter, , only the housing looks diffirent , i,m thinking to buy it .

I think that it will fit and work but the solenoid may be in a different position when fitted. I bet one starter has a slighty domed end cover while the other has a band & screw to gain access to the brushes. Maybe SirN will confirm if I am correct.

PS - if by some great chance you are unlucky enough to have a two hole starter than as far as I know they became unavailable in the 1970s so you need a new engine backplate, flywheel housing and possibly a flywheel so you can fit a three hole one.

Can they not be reconditioned? I would have thought new brushes would be enough in most cases but even if the armature needed to be machined that would be far easier than fitting a new backplate and flywheel? Or is there something terminal that happens to them?