The Floating Classroom Electric Boat

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Now that I've recovered from my rant yesterday about cyclists on the towpath, one of the highlights of my walk along the Regents Canal was being over taken by the Floating Classroom Electric boat

1689l.jpeg.

Walking along with my iPod on and suddenly noticed this huge boat was overtaking me. Odd, thought I, didn't hear it. Took of my headphones and still couldn't hear the boat, just the people on board. Wow! That boat is REALLY quiet! I mean, like, wow! Quieter than the quietest thing you can think of.

(especially compared to some bloody awful thing that was going through the Camden lock that made a real racket and was chugging out clouds of fumes.)

Edited by Chris J W

Sorry to take this off-topic almost immediately, but it reminded me of an interesting conversation.

Met a bloke at Compton lock last weekend, said he was born on a working boat in '36 (his parents worked fly boats), lived on the cut 'til '55 when he joined the Army, but didn't go back to the water and became a shepherd when he left the forces.

He said he only had two days at school in his life, on the school boat at Etruria. Usually his Dad would drop him off and he'd walk around so he didn't get caught.

So, floating classrooms, old and new. Discuss:

Now that I've recovered from my rant yesterday about cyclists on the towpath, one of the highlights of my walk along the Regents Canal was being over taken by the Floating Classroom Electric boat

1689l.jpeg.

Walking along with my iPod on and suddenly noticed this huge boat was overtaking me. Odd, thought I, didn't hear it. Took of my headphones and still couldn't hear the boat, just the people on board. Wow! That boat is REALLY quiet! I mean, like, wow! Quieter than the quietest thing you can think of.

(especially compared to some bloody awful thing that was going through the Camden lock that made a real racket and was chugging out clouds of fumes.)

I met them at Uxbridge when I was in the dry dock blacking and they'd come in for something (I guess it wasn't diesel!). I think they'd just finished fitting out and were telling me about the huge banks of batteries under the floor.

Knowing what a classroom of excited children sounds like, I'm not surprised you couldn't hear the engine. Just my two nieces would drown out my diesel engine by themselves! :(

Think they'd been hired by some "Posh Folk" for a party on Sunday. Lots of Champers on display!

Whooo, go Champers!!

- I sware we never get any of the on emilyanne.

- If it was left to my grandad it would be tesco-brand "best bitter" all round. Which is quite grim!

But on topic, i'd be interested to know a little more if anyone else has anything to share about this boat?

- We where passed by a electric widebeam at cowley lock last year a number of times, but its twin Z-drives where very noisy!! Far loader than our steam enigne.

Daniel

But on topic, i'd be interested to know a little more if anyone else has anything to share about this boat?

- We where passed by a electric widebeam at cowley lock last year a number of times, but its twin Z-drives where very noisy!! Far loader than our steam enigne.

Daniel

You don't hear this one - it just looms up on you silently which can be a bit disconcerting.

I had a quick tour round the boat when she was temporarily moored in West Drayton, waiting for the kids to turn up. It's a lovely craft. I especially like the door that swings open vertically (a bit like a posh car). There's another floating classroom based in Paddington basin.