8oz plain flour and 1½ teasp baking powder or 8oz SR flour

1½oz butter

pinch of salt

¼ pint milk soured with lemon juice

1½oz sugar

grated rind of an orange

extra flour four dusting

METHOD:

Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl (I didn’t bother as there wasn’t a sieve on our boat – but I did take scales – don’t ask!).

Rub in butter until it looks like breadcrumbs, add sugar and give it a quick stir. Add rind to milk and pour into flour mixture.

With a flat bladed knife mix quickly until dough leaves the side of the bowl.

Place onto a floured work surface and knead briefly. Flatten gently with your hand till about ½ inch thick.

Use a glass if cutter isn’t available, dip in flour and proceed to stamp out circles of dough.

If no baking sheet is around cover grill pan rack with foil and lightly dust with flour.

Place rounds onto sheet and pop into a hot oven gas7 for about 10-15 mins.

When they have risen and are golden and feel light rather than heavy, take out and cool.

Serve with jam and cream; hand some over to lockkeepers along with a mug of tea or coffee.

I made these for Terry and his mate at Watford Flight, who said no-one had ever made them scones before – which I find hard to believe!

Edited by Tullz

Watford Lockkeeper Scones

8oz plain flour and 1½ teasp baking powder or 8oz SR flour

1½oz butter

pinch of salt

¼ pint milk soured with lemon juice

1½oz sugar

grated rind of an orange

extra flour four dusting

METHOD:

Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl (I didn’t bother as there wasn’t a sieve on our boat – but I did take scales – don’t ask!).

Rub in butter until it looks like breadcrumbs, add sugar and give it a quick stir. Add rind to milk and pour into flour mixture.

With a flat bladed knife mix quickly until dough leaves the side of the bowl.

Place onto a floured work surface and knead briefly. Flatten gently with your hand till about ½ inch thick.

Use a glass if cutter isn’t available, dip in flour and proceed to stamp out circles of dough.

If no baking sheet is around cover grill pan rack with foil and lightly dust with flour.

Place rounds onto sheet and pop into a hot oven gas7 for about 10-15 mins.

When they have risen and are golden and feel light rather than heavy, take out and cool.

Serve with jam and cream; hand some over to lockkeepers along with a mug of tea or coffee.

I made these for Terry and his mate at Watford Flight, who said no-one had ever made them scones before – which I find hard to believe!

My son had one of these apparently last Wednesday on his way down the locks with his grandparents (NB Sarah), not sure if he got them off the lockeepers or yourself.

unless you have started a trend and giving scones to Watford lockeepers is now commonplace.

My son had one of these apparently last Wednesday on his way down the locks with his grandparents (NB Sarah), not sure if he got them off the lockeepers or yourself.

unless you have started a trend and giving scones to Watford lockeepers is now commonplace.

*huge smile*

yes indeed he got it from me. What a sweet little lad he is too :D

And grandad looked a tad jealous cos he didn't get any, my apologies to him

Watford Lockkeeper Scones

I would keep the thickness at no less than 1"

I add an egg for scones.

Leave out the sugar but add 3 -5 oz grated cheeese - strongish is best - Really nice for Sunday tea time tooo

I would keep the thickness at no less than 1"

I add an egg for scones.

Leave out the sugar but add 3 -5 oz grated cheeese - strongish is best - Really nice for Sunday tea time tooo

Ya right Christine it should be about an inch :blink: (just arrived back from a day in the cafe baking scones - about 100 of 'em)

When writing out a reciped and without the dough in front of me, I tried to imagin the thickness - got it totally wrong, judging distances and height was never my strong point *grin*

I use an egg in my stem ginger scones which are fab with ruhbarb jam - homemade of course :lol: