In a soapnut shell

Tullz

Featured Posts

While on our boating jaunt, I couldn't help but notice that some live aborads have washing machines.

This made me think about the soapnut shells that I use in my washing machine at home.

www.inasaoupnutshell.com says on their blurb ' Enviromentally friendly, sustainably produced; bio-degradable and compostable.'

It's much cheaper than washing powder and works best using cooler temps.

I've not used regular stuff in almost a year and my clothes come out clean and soft. It's great for people with sensitive skin too.

While on our boating jaunt, I couldn't help but notice that some live aborads have washing machines.

This made me think about the soapnut shells that I use in my washing machine at home.

www.inasaoupnutshell.com says on their blurb ' Enviromentally friendly, sustainably produced; bio-degradable and compostable.'

It's much cheaper than washing powder and works best using cooler temps.

I've not used regular stuff in almost a year and my clothes come out clean and soft. It's great for people with sensitive skin too.

The website looks like one that a show such as Have I Got News For You would take the micky out of! :( What a great idea, though. Do you always order online or can you get them in shops?

The website looks like one that a show such as Have I Got News For You would take the micky out of! :lol: What a great idea, though. Do you always order online or can you get them in shops?

Only on-line I'm afraid, but delivery is really swift

Tullz nudges the cat's head off her keyboard - someone wants fed!

well a quick google brings up, poisin,toxic, affects heart or irritates bronchial and such stuff as well as soap stuff.

That's if you eat them Gaggle!

The blurb that's sent with the soapnuts says under no circumstances should you eat them.

Ewwww... cat drool over my keys - luverly!

:blink:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If it causes those problems if eaten, what does it do to the envoroment?

Bit of a discussion of the environmental effects on google answers:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=193674

Looking at the quotes, it appears to be used in a concentrated form for killing fish, which suggests it isn't particularly environmentally friendly, especially for boaters dumping their grey water straight over the side!

The 'environmentally friendly' tag appears to be applied because it is naturally occurring and 'organic', I haven't found any research to suggest it's any improvement over conventional soap or washing powder. I'll stick to Ecover for the time being I think ;-)

Edited by g0n