Valve stem seals

Kieron G

Featured Posts

Hi, hope some one can help. I've removed the valves from the cylinder heads on my flat twin to try and sort a problem I've got with worn valve stem seals. The seals are retained in a kind of removable steel 'top hat' which is held down by the inner valve spring. The cylinder head which I think has been passing oil has synthetic plastic rings as seals inside this top hat. But the other head has what looks like hemp / string packed in. I don't know if any other engines share this system. I can't find any parts or literature for this engine and was wondering if it is possible to buy this 'string', pack it in to the retainers and create my own seals ? Thanks.

Hi. Kieron

I am guessing from your boat name and the engine description you are running a Coventry Victor. HDW 2 which was marketed as a "Victor Vixen" engine. They were fitted into a lot of Board of Trade approved lifeboats.

There were indeed "valve guide seal pads" in that design of engine. The part number was N 1176/A and there used to be a site on the web for Coventry Victor with some spares available. Whether that still exists I have no idea. If not available I guess you just have to bodge it with some caulking string.

I do have a servicing manual and parts list of about 80 pages with quite good drawings and could perhaps get it copied for you if it helps.

Let me know. via a personal message. Cheers. Mick

Thanks Mick & Richard. Yes the Coventry victor site hasn't been live for some years now unfortunately. I guess if I went some where with a selection of seals I might find a match for the synthetic ring type 'modification' or as Richard suggests a replacement. String caulking is a good description of what appears to be in there now. I didn't know that these engines were fitted in life boats. I think that's where mine might have come from because it has official looking insurance inspection stamps on the casings.