First timers from Sawley

bestyman

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Sorry to ask for what must seem like the obvious to you all but Ive never set foot on a narrowboat before ( but we did go look at a canal last month)

Me, the wife and the inlaws have hired a canal boat mid May from Sawley marina for 3 days. We really have no idea so trying to find out as much as possible before we go

So having read this site there are still some things we need to know.

From Sawley it seems there are many routes, which one do we take for 3 days ( most pubs etc) ?

We love to BBQ but figured a BBQ on the boat is not the done thing. I have a BBQ on a stand we take camping, can we just BBQ at the side of the canal ? Who owns the side of the canal and is it true we can park anywhere?

Could the BBQ live on the roof ( its about half ironing board size) and do I need to take carpet to put it on?

When needing to restock on booze and food is it a case of parking ( sorry mooring?) the boat and walking to nearest tescos? I have a tomtom that may help with this but still dont fancy a long walk in heat ( hopefully) carrying shopping for miles.

Is the fridge on a 6 berth boat normal size?

We get boat and lock tuition before hire but will probably go to some locks near where we live( leeds) and hopefully see them in action now the weathers a bit warmer.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Mark

Hi all,

Sorry to ask for what must seem like the obvious to you all but Ive never set foot on a narrowboat before ( but we did go look at a canal last month)

Me, the wife and the inlaws have hired a canal boat mid May from Sawley marina for 3 days. We really have no idea so trying to find out as much as possible before we go

Welcome to the forum

Three days will not get you very far. Check with the hire company, but I suspect that you will not get the boat till late afternoon on the first day and have to return it early (09:00hrs) on the last day.

So having read this site there are still some things we need to know.

From Sawley it seems there are many routes, which one do we take for 3 days ( most pubs etc) ?

Do not know the area well enough to advise.

We love to BBQ but figured a BBQ on the boat is not the done thing.

Correct do not use the BBQ on the boat.

I have a BBQ on a stand we take camping, can we just BBQ at the side of the canal ? Who owns the side of the canal and is it true we can park anywhere?

You may only moor (park) on the towpath side the other bank is private. You may moor anywhere unless a sign restricts it. Do not moor near bends, bridge holes or locks.

Could the BBQ live on the roof ( its about half ironing board size) and do I need to take carpet to put it on?

When needing to restock on booze and food is it a case of parking ( sorry mooring?) the boat and walking to nearest tescos?

Yes

I have a tomtom that may help with this but still dont fancy a long walk in heat ( hopefully) carrying shopping for miles.

You will only need supplies for the first night, and one whole day, the last day will be breakfast only. I would think you could take enough with you.

Is the fridge on a 6 berth boat normal size?

Usually the same size as 'under counter' fridge at home

We get boat and lock tuition before hire but will probably go to some locks near where we live( leeds) and hopefully see them in action now the weathers a bit warmer.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Mark

We always do give a health warning: watch out for the boat bugs if they (it) gets you, you will end up trapped into buying your own. :D

Hi all,

Try buying, better still borrowing, a copy of Nicholson's guide, it shows you the routes, comments about shops and more important pubs near the cut, also it has a quick guide to operating locks etc. in the preface (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicholson-Guide-Waterways-Nottingham-North/dp/0007211147/ref=sr_1_1/203-6630360-9713564?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176243265&sr=1-1

We love to BBQ but figured a BBQ on the boat is not the done thing.

Suggest you do not BBQ on the boat, boats can burn brightly and easily :D

It would be good to take something to protect the paintwork, some bridges can be very low and you did not say how high it is. Bear in mind that 10 to 20 tons of narrowboat at 3mph bringing your BBQ into contact with a bridge will total it and damage the roof of the boat - the bridge, however, will definitely remain unmoved by the experience

When needing to restock on booze and food is it a case of parking ( sorry mooring?) the boat and walking to nearest tescos?

I have a tomtom that may help with this but still dont fancy a long walk in heat ( hopefully) carrying shopping for miles.

The guide (above) would help, Your clothes + washbag etc for three days should fit in a carrier bag, leaving the whole of the remaining car boot-space to be filled with the essentials - booze & food. :cheers:

Talk to people when you visit the locks and when you are on holiday, boat people are the friendliest group of people I have ever met

5th

Thanks for all the help,

So having a BBQ at the side of the canal is `usual` ? . We dont want to look silly !

Just one other thing, when we are half way through the holiday , how do we turn it around, the canal dont look wide enough for a 3 point turn to me .

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for all the help,

So having a BBQ at the side of the canal is `usual` ? . We dont want to look silly ! You will not look silly just keep the BBQ well away from anything flammable, especially the boat and definitely well away from where the gas bottles are stored.

Just one other thing, when we are half way through the holiday , how do we turn it around, the canal dont look wide enough for a 3 point turn to me .

As previously suggested get a guide (Nicholsons or Pawsons) and look for a turning point (winding hole to be technical :D )

Cheers

Mark