To GRP, Or To Not GRP - That is the Top question ...

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've seen a lovely boat that's well below my orginal £20k (now £30k) budget, but my Boss (a current owner of an NB) keeps telling me to avoid ones with GRP tops.

Any particular reason why I should? Could I 'convert' her to all steel at a later date?

All comments gratefully recieved.

Ta!

Chris

Most important any boat with a GRP top will be very old, probably not less than 35. They are inclined to leak in later life (unequal expansion rates and all that). But don't rule them out, I would say much nearer to 10K than 20. Many will have been hire boats so the plating, never very thick may be well worn around the swims.

Chap with a small NB had one with a grp top, and fitted a steel top (in a week of all things). He's made a superb job, but as he overplated the boat when he got it a year or two earlier I think? would it have been easier to have built new from scratch?

He was strugging to keep up with leaking windows etc. then after the breakins 18 months ago, that decided him. Sadly he was the one one to really lose anything.....mainly tools, which we think were taken to break into all the other boats. Homeless man animal just looked into all the boats. Took a cable and fire from one, a bottle of wine and whisky from another etc. He looked on mine....saw my 'junk' gave my steel door a kick and broke into the one next door for a sh1t.....Ha!

Never charged with anything, but apparently was caught doing the same in a house later. He just said, so what, you've no proof, or something of the kind.

Oh....happened 4 days after the tarmac was laid on Sustrans bike track that runs on the old railway line....a year ago last November.

Insulation is poor and the GRP boats are older than all steel. (As has been said previously)

Personally I would rather save up for another year than buy a GRP. There is always a gem round the corner, best advice is to keep looking.

Good Luck.

Thank you Gentlemen! Much as my Boss had said (always best to get a second opinion!) but without some of the air of 'snobbery' I thought I was getting from her.

As for age - well she (boat, not the boss!) is an 1976 Market Harborough ex-hire, so spot on with the age comments.

A walk away, I think.

Thanks again!