any advice on wood trim problems.

dm6045

Featured Posts

Hi All, went to view a boat at Braunston yesterday and am considering considering putting in an offer on her but some of the woodwork trims along the gunnels and where the walls meet the ceiling have warped and bowed away from the paneling on one side of the boat, I know that wood can do this if it gets damp but there is no other signs of damp on the boat ie. no smell, no darkening or splitting of panelling. The man at the brokerage said he would have one of the joiners look at it today as he didn't remember it being like it when the boat came in, just to see what the joiner thought the possible cause was and if it wasn't damp related how much it would roughly be to fix it. Just had a call from the servicing department there and was told basically to put in an offer and see what the surveyor said as they wont look at it before and he never should have said they would.... So I just wondered if anybody knew of any other possible causes that could have affected the trims in this way? (i know without seeing it its hard to tell and you cant see it in the photos on the website either. All I can say is that it has warped enough to get your finger between it and the panelling and has pulled the tacks out of the paneling that was keeping it attatched.

Thanks if you could help.

Sounds like one of the mushroom vents is leaking. We had a similar problem on our boat. It doesn't take much water to 'pop' the panelling. Once the wood dried out it returned to its original shape although one of the ceiling panels required propping up for a few days to remove the bulge.

So they want to sell it and desire your cash, but instead of helping you to evaluate the obvious problem they'd much prefer you to pay them for a day on their dry dock. How very helpful of them and probably indicative of how supportive they will be after you've bought it and they no longer want to impress you.

Of course you're likely to have it surveyed, but need to make an offer subject to satisfactory survey result. If they'd had their carpenter give it a look over as sensibly suggested you'd have a better idea of what to offer as an opening play.

I'd tell them "go jump", but if you really like the boat then work on the basis it's overpriced by £2.5K to £3K anyway and drop a further £1K for the damage and offer them the difference. After all, you're going to pay how much for the dry dock £150? Then your surveyor who is likely to charge an element for time, is going to take time looking at what you already know is a problem and then charge you £450?

I find their attitude off-putting, especially as your story indicates that the people you ( as a customer) deal with have no authority, whilst someone in The Service Dept. does and can over rule the Sales Department.

What's going on?

I guess the moral of the story is when looking to buy a boat from them don't waste your time and go straight to The Service Dept. .... whoever they are?

It makes me wonder if I drop in to fuel up, who should I approach ..... The Office Cleaner?

edited ...... because their Office Cleaner phoned me to say it's the man who cuts the grass apparently.

Edited by zenataomm

Sounds like one of the mushroom vents is leaking. We had a similar problem on our boat. It doesn't take much water to 'pop' the panelling. Once the wood dried out it returned to its original shape although one of the ceiling panels required propping up for a few days to remove the bulge.

Thanks for the reply i did at first presume it would be a leaking vent but I would have thought that would have affected the ceiling panel which was absolutely fine it was just the trim around the edge of the panels that had separated from them. Ive managed to get them to say they will have actually have a look and am waiting to hear back from them (hopefully).

So they want to sell it and desire your cash, but instead of helping you to evaluate the obvious problem they'd much prefer you to pay them for a day on their dry dock. How very helpful of them and probably indicative of how supportive they will be after you've bought it and they no longer want to impress you.

Of course you're likely to have it surveyed, but need to make an offer subject to satisfactory survey result. If they'd had their carpenter give it a look over as sensibly suggested you'd have a better idea of what to offer as an opening play.

I'd tell them "go jump", but if you really like the boat then work on the basis it's overpriced by £2.5K to £3K anyway and drop a further £1K for the damage and offer them the difference. After all, you're going to pay how much for the dry dock £150? Then your surveyor who is likely to charge an element for time, is going to take time looking at what you already know is a problem and then charge you £450?

I find their attitude off-putting, especially as your story indicates that the people you ( as a customer) deal with have no authority, whilst someone in The Service Dept. does and can over rule the Sales Department.

What's going on?

I guess the moral of the story is when looking to buy a boat from them don't waste your time and go straight to The Service Dept. .... whoever they are?

It makes me wonder if I drop in to fuel up, who should I approach ..... The Office Cleaner?

edited ...... because their Office Cleaner phoned me to say it's the man who cuts the grass apparently.

Yes I found it strange as well when she said she was from the service and repairs department i had presumed that they'd already been on and had a look, as we have had the onsite carpenters etc look at boats before that we liked just to get some ball park prices and didn't think this was unreasonable its not like we're saying put it right then we'll make an offer, as you say just wanted to find out roughly what it might be so that we can be prepared and then if its not too major make an introductory offer get it surveyed and get them to have a closer look... Have to wait and see what they say after eventually persuading them to send someone down like they'd already told me they would ... ( the other hilarious thing yesterday was the sales man telling me that we should pay them for the surveyor and dry dock so they can arrange both... That just made me laugh maybe I look like i have gullible fool tattooed on my forehead. Lol)

Edited to add. P.S the office cleaners can be very useful people to know if you need some information I know I am one lol.

Edited by dm6045

Thanks for the reply i did at first presume it would be a leaking vent but I would have thought that would have affected the ceiling panel which was absolutely fine it was just the trim around the edge of the panels that had separated from them. Ive managed to get them to say they will have actually have a look and am waiting to hear back from them (hopefully).

From my experience of ceiling leaks (houses as well as boats) the source of the leak can be well away from where it 'shows'. from your description it not unreasonable to suggest that water may have got past the mushroom seal and then flowed along a ceiling batten and then collected at the join where it finally broke out. Window leaks can create similar effects although below window height obviouslysmile.png .