Zander

Nev

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I was on my boat yesterday and got talking to a fisherman who was fishing with a lure for pike, perch or Zander. He told me he had caught a couple of decent Zander recently and was taken to task by another angler when he returned them to the canal. The other angler's issue was that Zander were not a native fish and should be removed allowing the perch and pike to recover....

I'm not sure I would kill any fish I took from the river or canal - but wondered if this was true about Zander?

Nev

PS Am I correct in thinking I can still fish the canal in the 'closed season'?

Hi all,

I was on my boat yesterday and got talking to a fisherman who was fishing with a lure for pike, perch or Zander. He told me he had caught a couple of decent Zander recently and was taken to task by another angler when he returned them to the canal. The other angler's issue was that Zander were not a native fish and should be removed allowing the perch and pike to recover....

I'm not sure I would kill any fish I took from the river or canal - but wondered if this was true about Zander?

Nev

PS Am I correct in thinking I can still fish the canal in the 'closed season'?

A classic example of someone telling you how they think things ought to be rather than how they actually are

Zander gained a bad reputation when they were introduced into the fens (in the 70s I think - by the water authority as an experiment) - people said they killed for fun and would wipe out local fish populations. there is no doubt that they are spreading throughout the systems but where they have been established for a long time they are regarded as just another predator and one worth fishing for - and the native fish populations are still there

If they were prolific indiscriminate killers they would soon run out of food and die themselves - nature will always find its balance - so the antis are talking ignorant nonsense - also the environment agency might have something to say about fish being removed without a license

Apparently you can fish some canals in the closed season but I think it is subject to local byelaws - have a look at the EA website here

A classic example of someone telling you how they think things ought to be rather than how they actually are

Zander gained a bad reputation when they were introduced into the fens (in the 70s I think - by the water authority as an experiment) - people said they killed for fun and would wipe out local fish populations. there is no doubt that they are spreading throughout the systems but where they have been established for a long time they are regarded as just another predator and one worth fishing for - and the native fish populations are still there

If they were prolific indiscriminate killers they would soon run out of food and die themselves - nature will always find its balance - so the antis are talking ignorant nonsense - also the environment agency might have something to say about fish being removed without a license

Apparently you can fish some canals in the closed season but I think it is subject to local byelaws - have a look at the EA website here

Bazza,

Thanks for the info. I would not kill anything I caught so the info you supplied is very useful and welcome. For info for others reading this thread I have copied the EA info on the closed season - just need to remember to get a new rod license...

Nev

The Environment Agency is reminding Midlands anglers that the 2007 close season starts today (15 March) and that, by the time it ends in June, they will need to have bought a new rod licence.

The close season lasts from 15 March to 15 June inclusive each year. Its purpose is to protect fish during the breeding season. It applies to all rivers, streams and drains in England & Wales, but does not apply to most still-waters. There are exceptions to this rule. They can be found in local angling byelaws which can be obtained from local Environment Agency offices by calling 08708 506 506.

From Saturday 16 June, anglers will be able to fish for coarse fish again in rivers and other waters where the close season applies, but they still need to have a valid rod licence and the consent of the landowner.

If anglers plan to fish through the close season on still-waters and canals they will need to purchase a new licence on 1 April as their old one expires on 31 March.

Hi Howard,

Thanks for posting these pictures, very interesting. I like the photo's of the weir stream with the river level drained down, fscinating to see ''what lays below''. Are you allowed to fish where the carp can be seen in your summer photo's ??? They look like they be worth trying for !

Rgds

Les

Hi Les,

You aren't allowed to fish from the bank i took the photo from as it is the lockside. But if you had a long enough cast from the opposite bank (70m ish) you could fish there ...

Alternatively you could rock up in a rowing boat and drop anchor, it is by the entrance to the skiff (very small) lock and as long as you were prepared to move if a boat was passing through , i wouldn't see it posing a problem. To be honest , the skiff lock is used so infrequently that i suspect you would have a days uninterrupted fishing easily ! The water is about 4 feet deep where the carp were , so warms quite quickly in the summer as it is also south facing , hence why they bask there.

Good luck , maybe see you at the Lock !

H

Edited by Howard