Work in Progress.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

A little while ago we were discussing windlasses for hard to wind paddles, and Teell bought a ratchet one.

My friend and a few people on here suggested a push bike 3 speed to make a geared one. Well they must have all been thrown in the scrap, as I've had trouble finding one.....anyway I found one yesterday.

After a very brief look, it appears fastening the winding handle to the spindle, and the square to the sprocket, with the stationary handle on the hub seems to be the best way. It will have to work in reverse though, meaning you wind the handle backwards to open the paddle.

I'll do some work over the next few days, but I still think the simpliest and easiest way is to get an extending bar to fit on a normal one. Then just lever it open, taking the windlass off every 1/4 or 1/2 turn until it goes easier.

If I'm to do any traveling off the Witham this year, this really is something I must do for my situation.

Edited by Supermalc

But if you fit an extending bar wont that get in the way on paddle gear with restricted room round it ?

????????????????

I was thinking of when I have to do this one.......the only one I usually have to use without the handle attached.

pad1.jpg

Do you have a picture of one? Sorry to be thick :rolleyes:

Here is the picture of the gate it is on. It is the right hand gate looking at the picture. The left one is missing, but the hole is bunged up now, so you can leave the quillotine up for your return, without draining the river :blush:

kymeone10.jpg

I think Johns idea was best, if you look in his gallery there an image. Dead simple and could be used on most paddles.

I tried to invent another way of doing this using a epicyclic gear :rolleyes: , but got a bit carreid away and forgot some basic principles.

I think Johns idea was best, if you look in his gallery there an image. Dead simple and could be used on most paddles.

I tried to invent another way of doing this using a epicyclic gear :rolleyes: , but got a bit carreid away and forgot some basic principles.

Never quite worked out how to put images directly onto a thread but click on this anyway.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...si&img=1092

Being as how it won't cost anything I'll have a go, however for the number of times I think I'll need it, a simple bar with two hooks to act as an extending handle is the way to do it.

Just take the windlass off a few times so keep starting at the bottom and just wind it a quarter turn.

Something like this.

wind6.jpg

Or this.

wind5.jpg

This months copy of Waterways World has three versions of ratchet and extending windlass on page 104. One type is no longer available, just as well as it cost £150.00. I bought a couple of the extending type made by George Pope last year and they work very well. Open for the ground paddle and close for gates, plenty of leverage and no skinned knuckles.

Ken

On the subject of windlasses, I make a ratchet windlass which has been revued by Graham Booth in the April isue of WWWorld. I made one formyself to use five or six years ago ang gave it to Sue and Vic (nb Noproblem) when I stopped boating. There is also a modification with an adjustable throw to increase the arm by five inches for really stiff gears.

Thanks Alex.

Making a ratchet one, using a small good qualitly 3/8 drive ratchet handle would be fairly simple for me. I don't mean to sound arrogent, or big headed in any way, but to be honest after 40 odd years as an engineer, even is some of this time has been 'playing', this should be the case to make such a simple thing.

Just to remind people of my situation, and therefore the need for these aids, I HAVE worn the discs out in my lower back. I cannot do much on a regular basis, without serious conscequences, although can enjoy an almost normal life for periods. But I must always try to minimise any effort, as I was reminded at the end of last year. I had been helping my friend with boats on the slipway, for entertainment as well as a little boating money, and as I was the fittest I'd been for quite a few years, I quite naturally overdid it. Then somehow I got the strong reminder, that I do have to be carefull as I could hardly stand up at all for about 6 weeks before Christmas. Thankfully it brought me to my senses, and I'm up and walking, if not running again.

I would really like to take a trip to Thurmaston again this year, for the BBQ which is in June. The Dawncraft club are holding a special event, as it is the 50th anniversary of Dawncraft this year.

Now I should be able to get, by being careful, but last year I was lucky in getting help through most of the locks, something I cannot garantee.

But it's not the paddles that present the most difficult problem, but opening (and closing) the gates. I've tried a ratchet strap, the most successful so far, with a rope on the boat to pull them open coming second.

I would like to make some type of small 'winch' and the best I can think of so far, is a sea-fishing reel in a cordless drill. As the movement of the arm of the gates is about the same, the length of strong line, or even strap would not be excessive, and some different lengths of rope could be made up, to attach to the other end, so as not to spend the day undoing tangles.

While at Thurmaston, if I make it again, I would like to go up to Foxton, and along the arm, as this is as far south as I can get with a widebeam (sorry broadbeam Carl :banghead: ). It just seems a shame to not take this opportunity with my boat, given the effort to get to Thurmaston. This bit would definately depend if I can find some help. There is no way I can do the 28 locks to Foxton single handed, even with the best aids I can devise.

It might be an idea to make a ratchet windlass to take, as this would be the simpliest way of coping with tough winding paddles.

Thanks Alex.

Making a ratchet one, using a small good qualitly 3/8 drive ratchet handle would be fairly simple for me. I don't mean to sound arrogent, or big headed in any way, but to be honest after 40 odd years as an engineer, even is some of this time has been 'playing', this should be the case to make such a simple thing.

Just to remind people of my situation, and therefore the need for these aids, I HAVE worn the discs out in my lower back. I cannot do much on a regular basis, without serious conscequences, although can enjoy an almost normal life for periods. But I must always try to minimise any effort, as I was reminded at the end of last year. I had been helping my friend with boats on the slipway, for entertainment as well as a little boating money, and as I was the fittest I'd been for quite a few years, I quite naturally overdid it. Then somehow I got the strong reminder, that I do have to be carefull as I could hardly stand up at all for about 6 weeks before Christmas. Thankfully it brought me to my senses, and I'm up and walking, if not running again.

I would really like to take a trip to Thurmaston again this year, for the BBQ which is in June. The Dawncraft club are holding a special event, as it is the 50th anniversary of Dawncraft this year.

Now I should be able to get, by being careful, but last year I was lucky in getting help through most of the locks, something I cannot garantee.

But it's not the paddles that present the most difficult problem, but opening (and closing) the gates. I've tried a ratchet strap, the most successful so far, with a rope on the boat to pull them open coming second.

I would like to make some type of small 'winch' and the best I can think of so far, is a sea-fishing reel in a cordless drill. As the movement of the arm of the gates is about the same, the length of strong line, or even strap would not be excessive, and some different lengths of rope could be made up, to attach to the other end, so as not to spend the day undoing tangles.

While at Thurmaston, if I make it again, I would like to go up to Foxton, and along the arm, as this is as far south as I can get with a widebeam (sorry broadbeam Carl :banghead: ). It just seems a shame to not take this opportunity with my boat, given the effort to get to Thurmaston. This bit would definately depend if I can find some help. There is no way I can do the 28 locks to Foxton single handed, even with the best aids I can devise.

It might be an idea to make a ratchet windlass to take, as this would be the simpliest way of coping with tough winding paddles.

Thanks Malcom. Very sorry to know you suffer with back problems. There is no doubt that you will find a ratchet makes life a lot easier. How one deals with opening and closing gates is another matter which I had never thought about and probably is not so easy to overcome.

Alexander

They say 'necessity is the mother of invention' and this is so in my case.

While moored at Bardney for the last 5 summers I've watched many usually older people struggle with the heavy large gates, and to be honest I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with some form of lightweight rechargable small winch to help the operation. I would have thought some competent manufacturer, with China now able to make them for a few pounds, would have something like this to buy.

It would also have many such other uses, such as moving the car on the drive if the battery goes flat. I recently watched (offered help, which was declined) as an elderly pensioner had to take the battery from the caravan parked on the front of his house, to start his car. A relatively new car, and I suspect fading memory was the cause, probably just left the interior light on by mistake. Just one small example.

The easiest way for me coming upstream is to open the gates with the boat, which I why I love to see it empty when I round the bend. I have this to a fine art, as I have shutting them by opening the paddles at the other end. Can usually shut them gentler than by hand :banghead: Luckily the paddles are hydraulic and usually work easily, unless weed is jamming the opening.

So going downstream is actually more difficult for me, as I have to pull the gates open. I also 'cheat' as long as it is not windy, as I open both gates part way. With Bardney being a wider than 14ft lock I can just squeeze through one gate, although the lower gate requires me to lift the fenders. The rubbing pipe strips also get a layer of paint taken off, hence the frequent repainting, now I've done them red :unsure: