Schilling Rudders Again

Featured Posts

Yeah will do.

- Its all a bit in the air at the moment, im rather pre-occupied with this resit ive got to do 5th sept.

- However the weekend 8-9th and 15-16th are looking favourable for boating so far, on from wheelock.

Dnaiel

Youtube video of tug being craned in slings, but check out the rudder, schilling with a moving trailing edge rather than the fish tail shape..

Youtube tug in slings clip

I love work, sometimes i can be very productive....... :D

simon.

Yeah its a good video of the rudder that insit.

- I'dd seen the flap rudders on beckers site when i was looking at the schillings.

- Although im not sure how suitable they would be for canals given the closenes of the bottom!!

Daniel

Yeah its a good video of the rudder that insit.

- I'dd seen the flap rudders on beckers site when i was looking at the schillings.

- Although im not sure how suitable they would be for canals given the closenes of the bottom!!

Daniel

I think it's more the closeness of the cill and bank rether than the bottom!

From reading the becker flap link, it appears to be more effective at increasing the stall angle than the fixed fish tail.

Simon.

Edit to add...

Having just been doodling on my desk, of course the likage for the trailing edge would limit the ability to turn the rudder flat to protect it from approaching cill or bank.

You could still have the top and bottom plates as you do on the schilling which would protect beckers flap.....

Edited by bristol & argo

Well, yeah, cill wouldnt be good either. Although i had a feeling that if you introduced the cill other then very gently it would bend almost anything, somthing as yet we have avoided. The bottom however is a far more frequently contacted thing, and a little more forgiving.

-That said, my grandads baoting freind still managed to bend our rudder (before it was schillingified) reversing onto the bank.

I was just worried really about it failing i guess.

- Espcially as we where fitting making/it in a very tight time frame without much certainty about anything coming together at all.

- If the worse came to the worse, i wanted to make as sure as possable that we would not be WORSE off at the end of it, lol.

The only regret in a way is that having made it not rediculasly wide, i then had to make it a little thinner than that in order to get it to pass the skeg to be refitted.

- If we had had another few days (as it was we littlerally gave its only coat of black the saterdaynight we floated on the sunday) i would have been nice to able to move the skeg sideways two inches, move the rudder cup to the edge of the skeg (so it was back in the middle again) and then make it a fair bit flatter maybe. And then just tack the lower plate on onsite after it was refited with a few short welds. (making i captive, but removable with an angle grinder. Like anodes!

Daniel