light heat and power on board

Annie B

Featured Posts

Hello All, I'm new to the forum. I live in a house 60% of the time and on Annie Too a 50' steel hulled narrow boat the other 40% of the time with my partner Ali (who is a member of this forum). I am doing an MSc in Renewable Technology at Reading and want to do my thesis on the range of renewable systems and associated energy appliances for boaters. I would like to start by doing a survey of how people who live on boats get their power, heat their boats and their water and what type of low energy appliances they use (LED lighting etc) or if they have any innovative tips and hints. This body of work will form the basis of a manual on how to get the best out of your batteries, solar panels, eco fans and water system etc.. which I will publish free on line when done.

If anyone has any ideas for how to do a survey or what questions to ask people or types of panel, suggestions on batteries, wind turbines and any technology that you feel makes your life easier on board I would be very pleased to recieve them. I have already started forming ideas for a survey but would like to hear from you if you have conducted a survey or filled out surveys etc..

I'm really excited about being on the forum and look forward to communicating with you all further.. all the best Annie B :banned:

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Yeah, there are varous ways you could do it.

- One would be to it with a large forum 'poll' or even several 'polls' asking what people had in terms of lights/windturbines/etc (the have ben polls on inverters/chargers/lights before now)

- Alternativly, you could draw up an online questionare, using one of the many online questionare services. Or simply use a word document that people could write over and email back to you. Or post back the contece of to the forum.

Depends how widespread you want to be able to use it, how may responses you need/want, and how flexable a format you need to effectivly ask the questions.

This might be a good start. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...ic=6494&hl=

Daniel

Hello Daniel, thank you for your message. I added 'Annie Too's' lighting info to the poll we discovered IKEA's round flat led lites (x4 for £20 @ 2watt) really nice easy to wire in.

With regards to the survey I would like to cobble a pilot survey together first to see if the questions are appropriate and to get feed back on how it could be shaped or its layout. When its done I'll send it to you for your feedback, if you have the time that is.

The main area for the study will be the Oxford boating community but I would be very interested in seeing what response there would be on line and will be making my own web site / blog (a requirement of the MSc project is to keep a diary) and anyone can see me and my qualifications / background etc before doing the survey and reassurance that what I'm doing is legitimate. Boating communities offer a really rare mix of a traveller community based in or near urban area's and off grid although a few moorings here and there offer power.

All the best to you.. Annie B