Tidal Severn

Gunna Do

Featured Posts

I intend to tackle the tidal Severn in summer and the initial plan was to go from Sharpness to Bristol as waiting for a weather window would be much cheaper than the other way.

How close to Bristol can I moor without incurring huge mooring costs and can I then lock straight through to travel down to Portishead ?

I intend to tackle the tidal Severn in summer and the initial plan was to go from Sharpness to Bristol as waiting for a weather window would be much cheaper than the other way.

How close to Bristol can I moor without incurring huge mooring costs and can I then lock straight through to travel down to Portishead ?

Suggest you read this:

http://nabo.org.uk/files/members/Severn_notes.pdf

And you'll need a pilot:

http://www.gloucesterpilots.co.uk/services/leisure/

Personally I don't think that mooring charges will be a major part of the expense of the trip.

Many thanks but have already read the docs and spoken to the Pilot. I know the cost of the pilot service and although there is no legal requirement to do so, will be taking the Pilot.

My concern is that I have heard it costing around £30/night in Bristol and Portishead. A wait of even a few days will add up very quickly.

Going from Bristol to Sharpness (via Portishead), I think the last place before Bristol to moor without paying is Hanham on the Avon, which is a good 90 minutes (at least) to the tidal lock out of Bristol, and that doesn't include getting your licence to pass through the floating harbour which takes 20 minutes - or longer if you're going to stand and argue about not wanting to pay. I guess it depends on the tides. I went out of Bristol at 5am so I think you'd have to be fortunate to to moor at Hanham and catch the tide.

Edit: If they're going to charge you to pass through the floating harbour then you may as well pay for a night in the harbour, because I don't think there's that much difference in price and your mooring includes the passage (I think?)

Edited by blackrose

My concern is that I have heard it costing around £30/night in Bristol and Portishead. A wait of even a few days will add up very quickly.

Keep your eye on the weather and choose your day carefully and you won't have to wait in Bristol or Portishead. It's actually worth paying for a night in the floating harbour. It's a good place to be, especially when the weather is good.