Leaky roof

Featured Posts

Hi there, my 1978 narrowboat has a persistent leak coming through the ceiling. It appears to come in via a crack going along the side of the entry hatch where it slides across the roof although no exact hole in the steel roof can be identified. The whole area has already been sealed twice, once using weathermate and once using body filler, however keeps leaking just as much. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much welcome?

Steel cabin? Photos?

My first preference if there is a fault in the steelwork would be to weld it up, otherwise a PU based sealant would be second port of call I expect without having seen it, sikiaflex/tiger/marineseal/etc.

Daniel

If your slide runs on a frame made of steel angle, its just possible that water is collecting on the upper flat surface of the angle & is running along until it can run off into the boat, usually in the corner of the slide aperture. I had this for a long time until I sussed what was happening, so I drilled & countersunk some largish holes so that any water running down drains through these holes before it reaches the corner of the slide aperture. Problem solved in my case.