Gas hob underneath window?

Ben2542

Featured Posts

Probably a stupid question ... I would be grateful for your advice as to whether it is permissible to site a gas hob underneath / in front of a boat window. Is this definitely a no-no? - a kitchen fitter who I know has said that you could not do it in a house, and does the same apply in a boat?

Many thanks

Ben

my hob is under the window. I installed a blind that is retained so it cannot flap about. I have to check if the material is flame-retardant, if it isn't I'll treat it.

see my gallery and build blog.

the relevant ISO-EN-BS standard for fire prevention gives specific zones where flammable materials cannot be used, I'll check tonight and post tomorrow.

Edited by chris polley

My hob is below the window and I have curtains too. I have a stainless steel shield behind which the curtains fit, it works very well. The new BSS guide is useless on this topic, simply goes on about "Check all curtains, blinds and other textile materials near appliances for signs of heat damage". Brilliant.

Edited by John Orentas

I'm aware of a minimum stipulated distance between naked flames and curtains - ½ metre I seem to remember

- but that apart is there any other reason one couldn't position a hob as described?

Yeah, thats eactly what i was going to say.

The new BSS guide is useless on this topic, simply goes on about

- "Check all curtains, blinds and other textile materials near appliances for signs of heat damage". Brilliant.

S'good isnt is!

Maybe next time i store petrol on board i should check the container for heat damage...

Daniel

Many thanks for the responses for far.

Is this question something to do with the risk of the flame being blown out rather than curtains? I suspect FFDs are required anyway so flame blowing out wouldn't be a safety issue but might be annoying.

No, it's not about the flame being blown out ... as the hob will have FFDs. It's more about having a naked flame within (say) foot or two of the glass of the window. As mentioned, a kitchen fitter who I know was horrified that I was thinking about putting a hob in front of the window (which he wouldn't do in a house), and I assumed he was worried about the glass getting hot?? Maybe he also had thoughts about curtains catching alight?

Ben

Many thanks for the responses for far.

No, it's not about the flame being blown out ... as the hob will have FFDs. It's more about having a naked flame within (say) foot or two of the glass of the window. As mentioned, a kitchen fitter who I know was horrified that I was thinking about putting a hob in front of the window (which he wouldn't do in a house), and I assumed he was worried about the glass getting hot?? Maybe he also had thoughts about curtains catching alight?

Ben

I believe the reason that Gas hobs (or hotplates) and windows are frowned upon is because you can't easily see a naked flame when bright sunlight is shining on it. There have been incidences of people badly burning themselves in such circumstances.

Many cookers (inc the one on our boat, and our one at home) have lift up glass lids.

- You could have one of them which would protect stuff some what, but also be obstucting the window...

Tbh i cant realy see a problem, it might be best not to, but im sure it would be fine if you where carefull

Daniel

ISO requirements:

4.4 Cooking and heating appliances

4.4.1 Materials near cooking or heating appliances

Materials and finishes used in the vicinity of open-flame cooking and heating devices within the ranges defined in

Figure 3 shall comply with the following requirements, taking into account the movement of the burner up to an

angle of 20° for monohull sailboats and 10° for multihulls and monohull motorboats, where gimballed stoves are

fitted.

Free-hanging curtains or other fabrics shall not be fitted in Zone I and Zone II.

Exposed materials installed in Zone I shall be glass, ceramics, aluminium, ferrous metals, or other materials

with similar fireproof characteristics.

Exposed materials installed in Zone II shall be glass, ceramics, metal or other material with similar fireproof

characteristics. They shall be thermally insulated from the supporting substrate to prevent combustion of the

substrate, if the surface temperature exceeds 80 °C. (See the fire test specified in annex A.)

NOTE The thermal insulation may be achieved by an air gap or the use of a suitable material.

Annex A

(normative)

Fire test

For conducting the test, each of the open-flame burners shall be covered by a metal plate of diameter 200 mm and

a thickness of 3 mm. The flames shall burn for 10 min, the controls being set to the maximum. At the end

of the burning period, the surface temperature of any material around the open-flame device shall be measured.

zone 1 is the space occupied by a cylinder 300mm in diameter and 350mm high centred on the burner.

zone 2 is the space occupied by a cylinder 600mm in diameter and 700mm high centred on the burner.