hull survey as a condition of insurance

dogless

Featured Posts

From the conflicting examples shown in this short thread, the only guarantee seems to be that thay are all inconsistent in their demands.

....Or that there's other criteria considered, in addition to age of boat, on whether the insurer demands a survey. For example, insured value; any particular types or makes of boat; a particular demographic of insurer, etc etc.

Also you are comparing brokers, you'd need to compare the underwriter (too).

Edited by Paul C

• 8 years later...
On 16/11/2014 at 18:53, dogless said:

I have owned my Colecraft narrow boat (built in 1993) for ten years. I was advised at the time of purchase, that once the boat reached 20 years of age, it was likely that I would be required to have the hull surveyed again as a condition of obtaining insurance.

As the boat's twentieth birthday approached, I conducted a 'straw poll' of owners, but have yet to meet anyone who has had such a condition imposed on them.

I have insured the boat again for my eleventh year without any such requirement.

My question is, has anyone experienced this situation, and at what age ? (The boat that is :) )

Thanks

Came across this old thread by accident ... seemed appropriate to update and answer my own question.

My broker (Nautical Insurance) required a full out of water valuation survey, giving me 12 months notice of the requirement.

I was able to arrange the survey whilst the boat was out for its bi-annual blacking.

The boat was 29 years old when I was advised of the requirement,  and 30 years old as the survey was completed.

I will not be required to provide a further survey for ten years (I'm very pleased to say)

Rog

• Greenie 1