Automatic Identification Systems

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

I have a bit of layover due to the stoppages up at Marston, so I thought I would mention the Automatic Identification Systems that are now being fitted on all deep sea commercial vessels and which will gradually find their way into coastal recreational vessels.

The system or AIS for short is basically a transponder that works on VHF and sends details of own vessel to all listening vessels in the vicinity. On ships, it transmits ID, course, speed, etc and the receiving ships normally have these shown on a little display a bit like a GPS screen.

They are used for identifying approaching vessels outside of visual range and are ideal for "spotting" vessels around bends in rivers.

As I say, these are gradually working their way into yachts on the coast on a voluntary basis and I wonder if they will ever start to penetrate inalnd waterways.

The commercial operators on the Rhine and large canals on the continent already use a thing called ATIS to warn lockkeepers and bridgekeepers of their identity when calling up on VHF and I believe AIS is starting to be used there for the same purpose.

Personally, I work with technology and electronics for a living and the last thing I want on a boat is electronics, other than a walkman or a DVD player, etc.

However, it is an interesting scenario where a little box the size of mobile phone could tell you what boat was coming at you around a blind bend or how many boats were already tied up for lunch at the Bricklayers Arms 5 locks ahead.

Best Regards

Mark

NB Willawaw - becalmed <_<

The system or AIS for short is basically a transponder that works on VHF and sends details of own vessel to all listening vessels in the vicinity. On ships, it transmits ID, course, speed, etc and the receiving ships normally have these shown on a little display a bit like a GPS screen.

They are used for identifying approaching vessels outside of visual range and are ideal for "spotting" vessels around bends in rivers.

Best Regards

Mark

NB Willawaw - becalmed <_<

Such a thing only works well if everyone has one and not just a few.

I would have to wonder if there is a need for such a device when one is traveling at walking speed.

Edited by maffi mushkila

Personally, I can't see it catching on just yet due to the amount of techology require vs the age and state of some of the boats!

Anyway, not knowing whats around the next corner is part of the fun!

Jon <_<

I fully agree. I'm not advocating it - only saying that the technology is there !

Why do people use GPS on nb's when they are only ten feet from the bank, can see both sides of the river at all times and know roughly what speed they are doing by watching the bank slide past ? But they do !

P.S Yes you are right - everybody needs it to make it useful and that would probably never happen. They are having enough problems getting the big ships to install them and the powers to be have had to make it compulsory.

PPS Could be good on the tidal Thames, Severn, Humber etc for tracking the progress of narrowboats on tidal, more open stretches of water - most port authorities have an AIS base station !

I think people would take the mickey out of anyone using these things. I have enough grief from fellow boaters when they see me taking a position with my sextant.

A few years ago CB radio's where becoming popular in my area, we still use ours occasionally when travelling two boats together. They fell from favour because of over-crowded frequencies and intrusion by foul mouthed truck drivers on nearby motorways.

Most truck drivers now use mobile phones, perhaps CB's might make a comeback.

The wife and I have a couple of PMR hand held walkie-talkies that you can buy and use legally in the UK without a licence and will give you a range of about 2 miles. I think they cost about £80 for the pair and have proved indispensable when motoring with other friends boats or even for mooring when there is a lot of background noise. We get very little interference from other user and there are a lot of channels to pick from.

I take your point about AIS and as I said earlier, I wont be fitting one. I just thought people might be interested in what our bigger cousins are doing on our tidal waterways.

Why do people use GPS on nb's when they are only ten feet from the bank, can see both sides of the river at all times and know roughly what speed they are doing by watching the bank slide past ? But they do !

Yes I can see the point of a GPS. It would save you having to describe to the local police where you are if you have a problem with bandits etc. A map reference should take them straight to you.

Yes I can see the point of a GPS. It would save you having to describe to the local police where you are if you have a problem with bandits etc. A map reference should take them straight to you.

Maffi

Don't hold your breath while they work out the reference to find out where you are. That's after they have found a map. Then it's the Golden Shot as they track you down with their GPS, left a bit, right a bit, there he is standing in the cut. <_<

Only joking I should be in the pub with this type of reply.

Edited by Big COL

Hi

I work for one of the emergency services and we do not have GPS location system

we work with the Ordnance Survey system. We do have a sat nav system in our

vehicles but this is only used to find unknown house adresses. If given a grid

reference all is well but GPS location is a waste of time.

Just for info if you use a bt landline we can spot you exactly before answering the

phone, So just find a 'phone box <_<:D

bottle