Toilets and Beds

Clinton Carlson

Featured Posts

Good Evening all: New member here hopefully looking to sail when I retire from the US Coast Guard in a few years (so plenty of time to plan) I have 2 quick questions. Does anyone have any experience with an "incinolet" (http://www.incinolet.com) which seems to me to possibly be a a nice alternative to both the pump out and cassette toilets.

Likewise, my wife and I are terribly attached to our king sized bed...but willing to downsize to an american queen. I was thinking a side mounted "murphy bed" might be a great application.

really welcome the comments!

Thanks from "across the water"

csc

Hello, not sure what type of boat you want but if it is a sea going type yacht you may be better off on this forum.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/index.php

CWDF is a forum for the inland waterways of the UK.

I'm not sure the above toilets are available in the UK but, I stand to be corrected.

Loads of reviews of Incinolet Loo's here:https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=incinolet%20toilets%20awful%20experience

Edited by Ray T

Assuming you are in the right place and seeking to answer your questions, the Incinolet website says it uses 1.5kWh per cycle. That's probably a non-starter on most UK inland waterways craft, which in the main tend towards low voltage (12V), low current electrical installations. Many have inverters mainly for infrequent use, and some have engine-driven mains generators, but most would regard that level of power requirement as excessive.

(Sweeping generalisations are always a bad idea, and no doubt all the exceptions to the above will be along shortly with detailed descriptions of their electrical installations ;) )

Folding beds, or part folding beds are not uncommon on UK inland craft, but the usual double bed size is around 4ft. There are styles of boat and interior layouts which permit wider beds, but these are less common.

Hope that helps.

Hello, not sure what type of boat you want but if it is a sea going type yacht you may be better off on this forum.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/index.php

CWDF is a forum for the inland waterways of the UK.

I'm not sure the above toilets are available in the UK but, I stand to be corrected.

Loads of reviews of Incinolet Loo's here:https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=incinolet%20toilets%20awful%20experience

Thanks Ray, truth be told my wife and my "original" retirement plan was to buy a trawler style boat and sail our own "great circle" loop for a few years ( But we both fell in love with the inland waterways while visiting the UK and with a few exceptions a narrowboat seems the way to go. Thankfully I have a few years yet to retirement so plenty of time to learn and plan. Including renting for a few weeks as a "trial run"

Or get yourself a Widebeam and you can have easily have a proper King size bed smile.png

Thanks Bettie: Right now my wife and I are "discussing" the relative merits of widebeam vs narrow, so far our marriage has survived (lol). I'm NOT going to get into the "but you won't have the whole system" argument I think there are way too many people who know more than I that can post on that! Nor will I start talking about how crossing the channel intrigues me...and yes realize that desire pretty much rules out a narrowbeam.

Sigh...so many options...so much to learn

Thanks Bettie: Right now my wife and I are "discussing" the relative merits of widebeam vs narrow, so far our marriage has survived (lol). I'm NOT going to get into the "but you won't have the whole system" argument I think there are way too many people who know more than I that can post on that! Nor will I start talking about how crossing the channel intrigues me...and yes realize that desire pretty much rules out a narrowbeam.

Sigh...so many options...so much to learn

You can have as wide a bed as you like on a Narrowboat, in the form of a cross bed. However if you are very tall you may find it won't be long enough, lots of people find them OK.

Most designs involve a swing up/down section that allows easy passage during the day,