Changing hot water pump

nickelodeus

Featured Posts

Hi Folks!!

Sorry I've been a bit lax with posting recently....I pretty much come here every day and lurk though! :)

Have just noticed that my hot water pump has a leak. I decided to investigate as over the past few days, I noticed that the pump was taking longer and longer to re-pressurise the accumulator and almost crawling at the end of its cycle before the pressure switch kicked in. Anyways, I noticed that the floor was getting a bit damp and so took off one of the kitchen cupboard kickers to see the bottom of the pump dripping water.

The pump seems to be a bit big, old and noisy....well certainly compared to the parmax3 that runs the cold system......yes, we have 2 separate pumps for hot and cold! I'm not really sure why, although I suspect it may be because our hot water is made by a morso gas water heater and it needs its own pump?! I dunno. Anyway, I'm probably gonna just swap the pump for a new one....was just wondering if anyone had any practical advice for doing this job?? Simple as it may sound, I have practically no DIY experience and last thing i wanna do is cause a flood!

Cheers

Nic

Nic,

Good luck. In theory the job should be simple. Can't say I have changed mine yet but I have installed a new one when I fitted out the bathroom.

Theory would be 2 water pipe connections, 2 electrical connections and probably 4 screws to hold the pump down.

Firstly make sure you isolate the water system ideally on both sides of the pump in order to avoid the flood. Then I guess that the problems will be caused by the lack of space to swing a spanner (if that is what is needed) or a screwdriver.

Do you know what type of connections you currently have?

Richard

That sounds alot easier. Mine is 1/2" BSP hence the spanner problems. Jubilee clips should be ok. In the which case, a screwdriver on the jubilee clips, cut (or disconnect) the electrical supply and use a short screwdriver to remove the pump. Reffitting should be the reverse of the above, Just make sure the isolation valves hold otherwise there will be a small puddle.

Hope it goes well.

Richard

Nic,

Good luck. In theory the job should be simple. Can't say I have changed mine yet but I have installed a new one when I fitted out the bathroom.

Theory would be 2 water pipe connections, 2 electrical connections and probably 4 screws to hold the pump down.

Firstly make sure you isolate the water system ideally on both sides of the pump in order to avoid the flood. Then I guess that the problems will be caused by the lack of space to swing a spanner (if that is what is needed) or a screwdriver.

Do you know what type of connections you currently have?

Richard

There is very low head on the inlet to the pump (measured in inces in the usual way of things). When I changed mine I got SWMBO to put her thumb over the end of the pipe while I did whatever was necessary. No isolator required. When we needed to leave the boat befre the job was complete I tied the end of the pipe up at a level where the water did not flow out.

Nick