Canals unlocked - CRT announces £50,000 project to digitise the national waterway collection

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Apparently, what's there so far is only a fraction of what's available; which is very exciting, as there's lots of interesting photographs to have come out already.

I understand the images are purchasable now.

As for resolution I am please they have increased but they ought to be larger.

Your comments regarding feedback have already been discussed with Simon Salem and its up to him to decide a way forward, maybe a panel of experts in different fields could be set up to vet the info?

There are plenty of knowledgeable contributors on here.

There are many bad descriptions, my own estimation is that well over 80% are incorrect, lack information or describe only what is obvious.

But the larger the image, the greater the risk of people just saving them to their own computers and effectively stealing the images, possibly to pass off as their own.

Certainly errors I have reported in captioning (by email address given) are yet to be addressed.

On the pictures I have looked at over the last few days, I would say probably up to a quarter have obvious errors on the detail recorded against them, so I rather fear it will be an overwhelming task for them to correct them all.

Also I wonder how they will fare if two people each express a different opinion on a picture, (for example give different locations for it). There is a danger that "correction" information some people supply in good faith may be less accurate than what they are trying to "correct".

Do we know if ultimately it will be possible to obtain the images in better resolution, (probably at a cost?), and if so when that may happen, please?

According to the FAQ, they will update captions every two months- which will presumably allow any dissenting experts to argue it out before hand. Edited by FadeToScarlet

Apparently, what's there so far is only a fraction of what's available; which is very exciting, as there's lots of interesting photographs to have come out already.

But the larger the image, the greater the risk of people just saving them to their own computers and effectively stealing the images, possibly to pass off as their own.

According to the FAQ, they will update captions every two months- which will presumably allow any dissenting experts to argue it out before hand.

What is there atm is from Gloucester only, the EP collection etc are in process. The search engine needs improving too, compared to accessing my own collection which holds around 8000 images the search is very poor, but saying that my referencing system only needs windows explorer to turn up the results!

If I was describing at picture of your boat at wharfage in Brum it would read something like "SCC MB WILLOW BCN WHARF 1942".