Mikuni 40

Theo

Featured Posts

Theodora's Mikuni has been a source of innocent entertainment and speculation since we got her. At first it would not start at all. Then we got the alternator going and gave the poor little boiler a reasonable voltage and it worked. Then it needed about 2 switch ons before it would fire, then 4 and now it won't go at all. When I first switch it on, the little green light on the on/off switch flashes slowly and various whines come from the boiler along with clicks from the fuel pump. Cold air and a smell of unburned diesel come from the exhaust. Then there is a loud whine from the boiler and it settles down cold with the green light on the on/off switch flashing at a rather higher frequency and no sounds at all. It remains in this state until I switch it off for a minute or so and then switch it on again. It then has another try.

Does it require a) a complete service, B) a new glow plug. (The emoticon replaced my b bracket!) c) both. As a reasonably handy owner can I do the service myself? I know that the glow plug is easy to get at because I took it out myself a couple of weeks ago and gave it a bit of a scrape to remove some of the carbon.

I look forward to your comments

Nick

Have a look at the controller on the Mikuni itself when the unit has shut down.

There is a red LED that will be flashing. The number of flashes gives you the error code. The error codes are in the owners manual, which if you haven't got, you can download from the mikuni website.

I have one too. It caused me nothing but trouble until I learnt all it's little foibles and reliability problems.

Gibbo