first liveaboard?

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

also im hoping there is more of a sense of a community, when i commute to work along the canal, most people greet me with a smile,

i have been living in my street for 2 year and there is still neighbours who don't speak ,

i image his happens in most streets but there only 10 houses in my street,sad.png

You only have to read the thread about Marcus boat thst has sunk to know what ths boating community is all about.

The amount if help and support he has received has been truly moving. Every boater I have spoken to has always been warm and friendly. I dont think you get this living on a street .

Rick

It is a sad state of afairs when many people cannot find a decent place to live. Many privately rented, Council, Housing Association even purchased properties are ill kempt with litter, rubbish and disused appliances discarded on the street and grass verges. Often loud music, barking dogs, screaming matches between partners and neighbours and the wail of Police car sirens disturb the peace at all hours. At least, that was what I observed when I had a job calling door-to-door in southern Hampshire villages. There were, of course, a few havens of apparent tranquility and a few 'gated' communities and individual residences.

I was brought up on a South London Council Estate. Bought a 1930's built terraced house in a cul-de-sac in Portsmouth, then an isolated cottage on the South Downs and am now a liveaboard.

The Council Estate was a pleasant place in the 1960's but, despite improvements (gch, double glazing, new roofs, kitchens and bathrooms) it is now an unpleasant place to live with all the above problems plus a higher level of crime including drug dealing. So far as I know the Portsmouth cul-de-sac may still be a nice place to live - if the one problem couple have moved out.

Even living in the country cottage was not without problems but there I was the problem with my chainsaw cutting logs at 6pm, my chickens roaming into my neighbour's kitchen, my back yard full of building materials, my parent's caravan kept at the top of my 1/3 acre (next to the entrance to my neighbour's drive) and disputes over maintaining the half mile of access track. My richer neighbours, with much larger/second homes were very tolerant and we sorted out differences amicably - maybe because, other than the above, I was a useful neighbour. I jump-started their cars, rescued them from flood and snow and removed the fallen trees blocking our access track after the big storm, repaired our communal water supply and dug up my neighbour's frozen water pipe when I was ill with influenza etc.

With few exceptions the waterway is a community willing to help their fellow boater, poor or rich - like my 1960 Council Estate neighbours.

I would not sell a house/flat to buy a boat. That first step on the housing ladder will pay dividends in the long term. I could not afford both a boat and a house/flat after divorce so I chose the boat but after ten years the attraction is waning and I am looking for a retirement apartment. Living on a boat or in a country cottage that you own allows many economies, especially collecting fallen wood for fuel. Leashold/rented properties with their built-in service charges leave little scope for DIY maintenance.

CC'ing, as I have said before, is similar to living in an isolated country cottage. There will be power, water, sewage and access problems. You may find yourself trudging through mud or snow, half a mile from your car, pushing a barrow full of food, water, fuel or a Porta-Potti.

Spending the first winter/year on permanent moorings with vehicle access and a 240V supply is a good plan, it makes it much easier to make modifications to your boat and eases you into Continuously Cruising.

Good Luck, see you on the cut, Alan

With few exceptions the waterway is a community willing to help their fellow boater, poor or rich - like my 1960 Council Estate neighbours.

I would not sell a house/flat to buy a boat. That first step on the housing ladder will pay dividends in the long term. I could not afford both a boat and a house/flat after divorce so I chose the boat but after ten years the attraction is waning and I am looking for a retirement apartment. Living on a boat or in a country cottage that you own allows many economies, especially collecting fallen wood for fuel. Leashold/rented properties with their built-in service charges leave little scope for DIY maintenance.

CC'ing, as I have said before, is similar to living in an isolated country cottage. There will be power, water, sewage and access problems. You may find yourself trudging through mud or snow, half a mile from your car, pushing a barrow full of food, water, fuel or a Porta-Potti.

Spending the first winter/year on permanent moorings with vehicle access and a 240V supply is a good plan, it makes it much easier to make modifications to your boat and eases you into Continuously Cruising.

That's really insightful Alan and an honest appraisal. That's how I found it to be.

Occasionally I stare whisfully at a small appartment with nice balcony overlooking the sea and wonder, what if.

but mostly I don't. Ive been living on boats for around 9 years now, with a long history of boating before that (33 years so far). I don't believe I will ever tire of them. But perhaps the life will become difficult to deal with once I reach (hopefully) an age where I might need help. I wish sometimes I had the equity of land based property to fall back on.

If I had a house now, I don't think I would sell it, or if I did, I would buy another property elsewhere that could be rented out. Just the one. Nothing flashy. Just a safety net to fall back on. I couldn't afford to get on any kind of property ladder, despite being employed continuously since I was 21 and earning a modest but reasonable salary.

Living on the narrowboat and cc'ing, If I had done this for a few years more, chances are I would have been able to save a decent sized deposit for a small flat.

life on the canals really does bring opportunities we don't find elsewhere in society though. And the community, generally is something like you would have found form the 50's and 60's. (with without the sexism or racism)

I hope Paul gets his wish soon to be living "the dream" but I'd advise looking into ways of avoiding stepping off the property ladder, and perhaps side stepping it.

Edited by honey ryder