Yet another Solar question

roggie

Featured Posts

We have a 70W solar panel on the boat which links to a Solsum 6.6 box, then off to the batteries. Previously the led's would flash green to indicate power from the son, just recently it's showing a solid red light indicating no power fro the panel, or under 11.8. This afternoon I tested with a voltmeter the connections on the panel, then the connection going Into the Solsum box. Panel was measuring 18+v as a was the external connection into the Solsum box. I assume this means the panel and cables are OK. Fuse on that Solsum box is good too. Not sure where to look next to try to work out where the problem is. Any assistance gratefully received.

Currently cruising the Thames Ring moored in Slapton on the GU so though MK on Wednesday.

No reset button just a basic controller, I might disconnect the device and reconnect, doubt it will make a difference though. When we are back I'll look to hooking the controller up to a independent 12v battery (have a small motorbike batt onboard) to see if that works. I also think the time has come to pay someone who knows about boat wiring to caste a eye or two over our setup. I am sure the previous owner knew what he was doing but I can't follow some of the wiring very easily.

No reset button just a basic controller, I might disconnect the device and reconnect, doubt it will make a difference though. When we are back I'll look to hooking the controller up to a independent 12v battery (have a small motorbike batt onboard) to see if that works. I also think the time has come to pay someone who knows about boat wiring to caste a eye or two over our setup. I am sure the previous owner knew what he was doing but I can't follow some of the wiring very easily.

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction with your testing. My only suggestion is that when you start, cover your panel first and uncover when you have everything connected again, some controllers need to see the battery first before the panel voltage. If all else fails a new controller won't break the bank for that size of solar.

Unless you wire your own boat/car/etc... following wiring is always difficult unless multi coloured wire or coding is used.

Good Luck with it

If another controller is needed, this sort of thing would do for a 70W panel on 12V:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EP-Solar-Landstar-10A-12-24V-Solar-Charge-Controller-/161151196630

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EP-Solar-10A-12-24v-Dual-Battery-Solar-Charge-Controller-/281389800905

If one is needed while on the move, maybe Maplin do something, probably cost a bit more though.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete