Engine oil filters

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

First boat, lots to learn! I changed the engine oil for the first time, and after 4 days changed it again - only 1.75 litres in a small 1-cylinder Bukh DV10. Curious to see how the first new oil came out after 4 days (black already!) - and the first new oil sort of 'flushes' the engine anyway so I didn't mind 'losing' 1.75 litres. On changing the engine oil for the second time I put on a new oil filter. The original filter was a Mahle - I forgot to see where it was manufactured, but the fuel filter is a Mahle and says 'Made in Austria'.

I was sold a Wix 7070 filter ("we use Wix on all our boats" said the seller) - I was a bit dismayed to see it is manufactured in Poland (sorry chaps, just don't have confidence in Eastern European standards).

Equivalents filters are:

Mann W9302

Knecht OC85

Fram PH287OA

Purflux LS702

FIAAM FT4862

Filtron OP526

(and of course the Mahle, I forget the code).

So my question is, are Wix filters OK? From the list, are some makes better than others? Which brands to be avoided like the plague?

Thanking ye...

Some interesting stuff on youtube where a guy cuts filters open, and his findings are varied, but there seems little to suggest that dearer filters are any better, one international make being made of lumps of cardboard (inside.) I usually use Baldwin filters on our Vetus.

Edited by Guest