Lister LR2 Fuel Leak - over pressure ?

QDos

Featured Posts

Hi - I hope I can explain what i think is going on :

I have a fuel leak from the outlet banjo fitting of the fuel pump - very difficult to get to but I have been able to replace the copper washers with Dowty washers (and change them back agan when it still leaked) - tighening is difficult due to restricted access , but I think that I have managed okay.

When standing, engine off- no leak . Start up (used to leak when running but with new washers does not now) 5-10 mins no leak but after this time a spray of diesel is emmited from the joint that is obviously under a lot of pressure - engine is running fine. Many different combinations of washers and torqueing up the banjo bolt - same result , a fine mist of diesel in the engine compartment and a sustantial drip from the fitting - turning to smoke as the engine heats up.

My theory: - is this joint just the weakest part of a system that is over pressure ? The fuel pipe from the pump outlet is brazed copper and goes to the inlet banjo fitting of the fuel filter 6" away - this banjo is large and has another smaller pipe and banjo on the inlet as well - I am not sure what this smaller pipe (looks around 1/4"OD capillary) that goes up over the cylinger head , has two small branches to each cylinger and dissapears off , maybe back to the fuel tank ? - not sure . My guess is that this is a pressure relief system that is not working due to the fact that the small bolt on the banjo fitting is not a banjo bolt , just a normal one - I cant see the purpose of having a normal bolt there on a banjo fitting.

Is the lack of pressure relief causing over pressure at the fuel pump outlet and hence a leak?

How much pressue is the fuel system under ?

Can I replace with new fittings with barbed and braded hose ?

Thanks

Quentin

Thanks Richard - that makes sense. So one end of small pipe goes to tank , other end goes to inlet of filter (with two branches for injectors) - if the filter end is blank i.e no banjo bolt - main fuel line has no pressure relief therefore weakest joint may leak due to over pressure.

The face of the banjo is not perfect but I can do somthing about that , dont know about the face on the fuel pump outlet as its way down in the well and inaccesable. thought that using dowty washers may help here.

Will get a banjo bolt for the filter inlet and see where I go from there.

Cheers

Q

Did you anneal the copper washers before putting them back?

Edited to add: You may be unfamiliar with this. Heat washers over a gas flame until they glow brightly.and allow them to cool before refitting

Edited by Radiomariner